ad: k1jek

IC-260 Service Manual

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KB2E, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB2E

KB2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have searched far and wide. SOMEONE MUST have a IC-260A/E Service Manual! I can't believe that there is not one online (that I can find). I'll scan it and return it if you have one! I'll send you $100.00 to hold until I return it. I can't even buy one on eBay. I have 2 of these to repair.

One that tramsits in SSB but when you release the PTT the meter pegs right stays there for 2 seconds and then slowly returns to full receive with the volume going up following the meter down. FM and CW behave perfectly.

The other seems to have low SSB power but does transmit. FM and CW are good.

Not being able to find a service manual does anyone have any suggestions?

2. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

According to Icom's list of service manuals, they never issued a service manual for the IC-260A/E. The operating manual does include a full schematic, board layouts, voltage charts, block diagram, and some very detailed operating information. If alignment, or even a parts list, is required, you're on your own. If you're technically savvy, trouble shooting should not be that difficult even with just a schematic. Authorized Icom service shops might have been privy to additional service information (they had to order specific parts somehow), but as far as I can tell, this information, if it existed, was never released to the consumer.

3. KB2E

KB2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, the one that didn't seem to switch to SSB or had very low power is fixed. Full power and good transmit audio and frequency. One is really nice, one is very well used and the other is OK. I have no idea what their previous use was but it was dirty and might have been wet. I originally pulled apart the one with little to no SSB to scavenge the bulb for the meter in the good one. It appears I'd have to swap meters so I went ahead and cleaned every connection in the unit. A q-tip and Deoxit, work the plug on and off a couple times, a little canned air to dry thing up and away we go. About 45 minutes work and she fired up, switched to SSB and put out 10 watts with clean audio. All functions work as they are supposed to. One down, 1 to go. I'm going to try the same approach first but I seriously doubt that the one that is slow to return to recieve is a connection, but clean connections never hurt.

4. NG7I

NG7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, how did the second one go?

5. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

REQUIRES ability to Read Schematic Diagram (and understand), use a DVM or VOM for measurements, and component level troubleshooting / testing.

Look at the T/R relay and passive components surrounding.
    T/R Relay: Clean contacts? Mechanically functioning properly?
    Good DC power for Relay? Driver transistor failing?

E3CC4A74-A941-4D35-AEBF-048A4FFFBE4C.jpeg 01A41D72-750B-40CC-A269-671CBC03AB60.jpeg
    Icom IC-260A/E, All-mode 2- meter transceiver
    https://www.rigpix.com/icom/ic260e.htm

Icom did not start to provide English translated Service Manuals until the 1980s.
    In the 1970s, schematic and basic information was included in the Owner’s Manual.
    For an Icom IC-211 2-meter All-mode (1977 release), that I acquired 15+ years ago,
    I called Icom America and requested a packet of ALL the information that they had “on-file”.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021