IC-207 not sending repeater tone

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KE0YCS, Mar 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KE0YCS

KE0YCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So I just got an Icom IC-207 from a friend that recently passed. I was able to get everything programmed, but it will not send tone to the repeater. I've checked all the settings and they appear to be correct. I've also listened to the offset channel and it is transmitting there correctly and it works great on simplex. Every once in a while it will send tone, but it is so random that I can't tell what was done differently. I've cleared the CPU a couple of times and tried again, but it still will not send tone reliably. So my question is, could the problem be with the radio or possibly the mic?

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The CTCSS tone may be generated in the head. DTMF is normally in the Mic.

It might be worth a try to clean the connectors that connects the removable head to the radio. Alcohol is what I use.

Good Luck.

KK4CUL likes this.
  3. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have an IC-207H and have had the exact same problem. It's an OLD radio now and yes, the brass / copper whatever connector between the head and body get tarnished. Especially since the "seal" between the head and radio has gotten looser with age. I cleaned with an old rag and 91% ISO, then sprayed the tiniest bit of contact cleaner / deoxit (making sure to wipe off any excess around the pins) on both the body and head. Has held up for a couple years since then.

4. KE0YCS

KE0YCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the replies. I've cleaned the connections between the head and body and worked yesterday for about 10 minutes. I've also cleaned the connections for the RJ45 connections for the mic to the mic and to the body. I know it's not a programming issue because it did work, if only for a short time. So if there are any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Other wise I'll go back to saving for something else and use this one for monitoring and simplex until then.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What is your power supply ? If it has any ripple, It could cause a PL tone unlock. Just guessing what the problem could be.

The deviation level could be off also. Does it do the same on UHF and VHF ? There is a deviation level adjust for each band.

The service manual for that radio looks good, If you don't have it, You should download it.

Good Luck.