IC-1271 vs. FT-736R on 23 cm

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KV3D, Jun 5, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KV3D

KV3D Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I'm looking at a few radios capable of "weak signal" work on 23 cm. I've been looking for a 736r for a while but I know that it'll be very expensive with the rare module. An IC-910H is out of the question, as is the TS-790A, for several reasons that I won't go into here. I DO have an opportunity to buy an IC-1271 for about $850 though, so I was wondering how its performance compares to some of the other 23 cm rigs (I know that the 1275 is better than the 1271, but it's a lot harder to find AND a lot more expensive). So what do you think? Should I wait around for a 736r or is the 1271 a good (or maybe better) substitite? Oh, and I'm not going to consider a transverter.

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

When Ken KA0Y was operating VHF/UHF terrestrial DX (6m to 23cm) and Satellite/EME (2m to 23cm),
    he had BOTH. He had the Yaesu FT-736R, as well as the Icom VHF/UHF IC-x71 separates of that era.
    Ken was #6 or #7 for WAS Award in each of those 5 VHF/UHF bands!

Today, the decision/choice comes down to serviceability (and qualified individuals to perform this work) --
    and level of remote computer control that you desire.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not use an external 23cm transverter?

The SSB units for example are higher-performance than the 736R module or the 1271A.

Image of LT-230S below -- these are really full featured, run a bit more power than the 736R or 1271A and have better front ends as well.

[​IMG]

The DB6NT transverters are also very popular and quite high performance although low-powered. Several companies offer 23cm amplifiers, though, including DEMI and W6PQL. DB6NT 23cm transverter shown below.
    [​IMG]

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW --- IF you ever desire to use Ham Radio Deluxe or other Remote operation application --
    READ the supported radios. The Yaesu FT-736R is NOT SUPPORTED. The Icom IC-1271 IS SUPPORTED.

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I scored a 1296 module for my FT-736R some years ago with the idea of yanking out the 6M module and replacing it. I had a brand new FTdx5000MP that had 6M on it. But I find the 736R is a vast superior 6M rig in all ways, so I am reluctant to mod it. Maybe I oughta score another 736R just to put in the 1296 module or find a IC-1271 or 1275 to use. But I would only use if for VHF contests. Not like anyone in the world uses 1296 any other time of the year.
    NO I don't want to sell the module. U will find it somewhere in the DIG at my Estate sale!

6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

One of my COLLOSAL Failures in Homebrew was to build a 1296/10GHZ transverter. It was magnicently constructed. 1296 failed getting the signal up to a usable level. 10 ghz also failed, but it worked on the Spectrum analyzer. It is now in the North Wing of the Crest Radio Museum

7. KV3D

KV3D Ham Member QRZ Page

There are currently two IC-1271s on Ebay, and the cheaper one is $899. I hear that the IC-1275 goes for something like $2000. I would be willing to pay for your 1.2 module though, so keep that in mind if you ever give up on it....

Here's the "cheap" 1271, in perfect condition:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ICOM-IC-127...217?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35eb740e09

Oh, and something else...can any band module combination be used? IIRC, one of the module slots is larger, and all of the modules appear to be of different sizes. Would I be able to use 222 and 1296 in the same rig?

8. WB2WIK

I have the Yaesu, and have since it was new in '87, and the 144 and 432 MHz modules are permanent. However, you can install two more modules and have the choice of any two you wish; so 135cm and 23cm modules may both be installed and used along with the original two.

I agree with Pat the Yaesu's pretty hard to beat. Its only weakness, reported by some, is its internal switchmode power supply which occasionally fails -- however mine never has, and works fine. You can power the rig with an external 13.8Vdc power supply if you wish; the internal PS is routed to the rear panel, where it plugs back into the rig. That same socket can be used to attach an external one if need be, or if using the rig portable from a battery.

9. KV3D

KV3D Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm familiar with the PS problem but I don't really mind. From what I understand, external power supplies seem to be better in almost every way. Thanks!

10. WB2WIK

Beware the original 70cm transverter and also the optional plug-in 23cm transverter module can have oscillator stability issues. The oscillators operate at UHF and it doesn't take much to make one get a bit flaky. The good news is, you can pull them right back in quite easily and there is an adjustment provided for it. So, it's not a big deal unless you're portable on a mountaintop somewhere without any tools or a workbench.:p

Don't ask me how I know that part.:eek: