ad: k1jek

IBM 5170

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA2DRO, Aug 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

:rolleyes: Guess I misread your model number. But yeah. Who would EVER fill up a 20 MB hard drive?:rolleyes:

KK4NSF likes this.
  2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

In the early 80's, my employer had those style of PCs all over the place. I remember having one on my desk and used it for drawing schematics (I don't the name of the program). It worked very well, in spite of it being crude. I also managed the Unix network that contained the bulk of the engineering tools. Because of that, I didn't pay a lot of attention to the PCs.

On the other side of my office partition, was a unassigned office. The office was open to the main aisle and had a few printers in it and computer (5150, 5170, ... I don't recall). The computer was blown out with options. It had extra memory, enhanced CPU, graphics cards, floppies, hard drive, special mice, etc.. And a ton of software. It was intended for the engineers to use it for testing. Anyone could sit down and use it.

The only problem with that system was that, every time someone went to use it, something was missing. There was a employee who was a computer enthusiast, but he didn't want to spend any money without first testing these options. So late at night he/she would come to work and remove one of the options in the PC. The CPU was in a socket and even that would go missing. Then, a few days later, the options would magically appear again. Even though I was right next to that office, I never saw anything.

We think we know who the culprit was, but there was never any proof.

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe it was the "Ghost in the machine?":confused::D

4. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yea, that's it. I couldn't see him because we "Are spirits in the material world".

WA9SVD likes this.
  5. AC3Y

AC3Y Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the foot pedal from a 5170.

IMG_1474.JPG