IARU Releases 2020 Band Plan

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W8KHK, Oct 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

On 75/80m, they "recommend" that AM be limited to 3875-3900, and 3600-3625 (shared with ACDS no less). Totally detached from reality. I have never heard any AM in 3600-3625, but plenty of operation on other "down below" frequencies, particularly in the vicinity of 3700.

And still obsessed with "bandwidth" even though activity has dwindled in recent years to the point that band congestion is rarely an issue.

But in reality, a non-issue. These restrictions are merely suggestions that carry no force of law, except that Canada does have a 6 kHz bandwidth limit for AM written in its regulations, but I have never heard of a Canadian ham receiving a citation for exceeding it, nor any Canadian AMer ever mention modifying his AM transmitter to bring it into compliance. Kinda like US amateurs and pee-ee-pee?

AC0OB and W8KHK like this.
  2. N9LBN

N9LBN Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't spin the dial down to the 3600 area often but I've never heard AM there either. A friend of mine hangs with a small group of guys on 3700-3705 in the early morning.

And hello Don. You are a regular voice in my bedside receiver at night. You even woke me from a nightmare one night you called out later than usual. Thankyou.

3. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

In the UK, the majority of AM activity is just above 3600, apart from the French, who think that its OK in the CW section :-(
    But we have less of the band to play with than some....

Frank

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020 at 8:06 PM
  4. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

WE WON'T!!!