IARU predicts end to mandatory code tests

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5LDW, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB6FTI

WB6FTI Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k1frc @ July 11 2003,07:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There is good and bad in this.  I got my 5wpm in 1990 so I could upgrade to tech plus, then in 98 got the 13wpm for my General.  Then, they cheapened my license.  Okay, the bad part (first), is that my license isn't worth what I paid for it, figuratively speaking.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    k1frc, I'm sorry to hear you feel your license has been cheapened by new, lower standards. If you're married, I suggest you tell your sweet wife that both she and your marriage have been likewise cheapened by those who today enjoy most of the blessings of marriage without the commitment you've entered into. Just warn me when you do, so I can get out of the line of fire ...  [​IMG]

2. AD6BN

AD6BN Ham Member QRZ Page

I recieved my extra ticket when I was 15. I told my father that CW was the main drawback to ham radio. Now I see it as the BACKBONE of international radio communication. To take the requirment away from exams takes the tradition, art, and stimulation of the hobby. Im sure Ill get a lot of "booos" here but its already bad enough that they give out the questions prior to the test! Im appreciative of my father, a ham for 40 yrs. making me LEARN the material and appreciating the science. I guess it depends on what your in it for. Whether it be a hobby, for the love of it, or the science I think its a bad move to get rid of it.

AD6BN

3. KK7AC

KK7AC Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc7jty @ July 11 2003,11:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> The reason I won't sit for a code test is a matter of principal. Your principal is just the opposite....but it looks like your position is on the way out.
                                                     KC7JTY[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ........Sounds like you got into the wrong hobby......

4. K1FRC

K1FRC Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AC7UL @ July 11 2003,12:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">k1frc, I'm sorry to hear you feel your license has been cheapened by new, lower standards. If you're married, I suggest you tell your sweet wife that both she and your marriage have been likewise cheapened by those who today enjoy most of the blessings of marriage without the commitment you've entered into. Just warn me when you do, so I can get out of the line of fire ...  [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

If you are referring to gay marriage which the Massachusetts supreme court may affirm this weekend... well yea, get out of the way.  Horrifying thought.

This is off topic, I'll probably be censored but till then y'all get over it.

5. KD4DWP

KD4DWP Ham Member QRZ Page

The code will not be a requirement either next year in this country or in a few more years. I have read articles regarding this in CQ, QST, and POP COM, and have read many posts here. Code is a great way to communicate but with so many other ways to communicate via amateur radio the code is no longer needed I assume. It will always be there but will not be a requirement. Hey, it isn't easy passing the written part of the tests. If it was everyone would be a ham. Please respond with your own opinions.
    Thank you.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

KC7JTY not only picked the wrong hobby, he's on the wrong web site. Real hams don't operate freeband.

7. KB2RJH

KB2RJH Ham Member QRZ Page

IS this thread dead yet Sheehs get over it it's a done deal stop whining like a bunch of kids.

DIE THREAD DIE 10-4 over and out can you hear me am I wall to wall tree top tall lmfao.

Let's all pause for a moment of silence for all the poor whiners.

8. KB2RJH

KB2RJH Ham Member QRZ Page

IS this thread dead yet Sheesh get over it it's a done deal stop whining like a bunch of kids.

DIE THREAD DIE 10-4 over and out can you hear me am I wall to wall tree top tall lmfao.

Let's all pause for a moment of silence for all the poor whiners.

9. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cbbasher @ July 12 2003,18:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">KC7JTY not only picked the wrong hobby, he's on the wrong web site.  Real hams don't operate freeband.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You forgot to say real people don't post on QRZ.com.
    KC7JTY

10. KF4DEW

KF4DEW Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Free at last, Free at last. Thank God all mighty we are free at last. All flames are welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.