ad: HamInsurance-1

IARU 2021 Bandplan Recommendations

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4O, Sep 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting band plan ideas from the IARU...

The summary PDF can be found by going to documents...

It's hard to imagine a more convoluted web portal to documents so if you value time, you can just download it from here...

Note, the above link is a snapshot as of September 30, 2021. If they revise the document, you'll have to find it in their maze.

I appreciate they tackled the topic of various forms of digital modes with what appears to be generous allocations for what we in the states call ACDS.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    K0IDT, KA4DPO and (deleted member) like this.
  2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Right from the git go:

• The notional 500Hz narrow band data mode definition is historically based on receiver bandwidth requirements for signal separation. • However what do general amateurs understand bandwidth to mean in the context of the band plans?

• Consider that an FT8 transmission is 50Hz, JT65 is 200Hz, WSPR is 5Hz – etc. but they all operate within a 3kHz receiver window – so are they narrowband or wideband?

• Does that mean we need more bandwidth definitions, or would that just confuse the band plan users even more? Problem 2 – Centre of Activity Characterization.

Sales pitch. I understand Signal bandwidth to be just that, signal bandwidth. Who says my receive bandwidth is 3KHZ? I can narrow my DSP down to 100 HZ.

I see justification for broad band PACTOR, and similar protocols all over the place in the documentation. They claim their goal is to minimize interference between different modes, but at what expense? Our allocations are a fixed resource, so allocation by as opposed to allocation by type of modulation, is pretty stupid since some modes are far more popular than others.

I like that they are attempting to address the issue, but I don't like the camels nose under the tent flap approach to shoehorning 2.400 KHZ wideband data into the plan. Just because Europe is stupid, does not mean that the US should blindly follow suit. I have never had much affinity for the IARU anyway. I propose phone digital, and CW allocations be the standard.

Like I said, I am not crazy about the IARU.

K0IDT, W5ESE and (deleted member) like this.
  3. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

The IARU R2 band plan is meaningless. I don't believe a single entity in R2 follows the current recommendations and someone would have to convince the FCC to adopt it -- I don't think I have enough time left to wait for that :)

K0UO, KA4DPO, K8XG and 1 other person like this.
  4. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For US hams it's probably just an academic proposal, given how unwilling the FCC seems to be to even respond to proposals to update Part 97.

K0UO, KA4DPO and (deleted member) like this.
  5. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Who is it that leads our delegation to IARU? They seem very interested in ACDS for emcomm, despite a dearth of evidence it's needed, effective, wanted, or utilized?

K8XG likes this.
  6. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

The video of the proceedings seem to showcase encomm interest from some of the other countries. I didn't watch it all, it's pretty dry platitudes and politeness, but did stumble on such a statement from an Asian country's rep. Could they have been influenced? Perhaps, but further review may yield a more accurate answer.

7. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting.

8. K0IDT

The IARU Secretary used to be K1ZZ, which should tell you something, not sure who the new guy is, or who was in charge of the US delegation. Our representative would be an ARRL selection and I can make a good guess at what the agenda was going in, with the desired result being something the ARRL could use in front of the FCC. Yeah, I'm cynical with good reason.

KA4DPO, K8XG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

So, remind me again; what ham organization in the USA champions emcomm and ACDS use and expansion?

IARU Region 2 Executive Committee Quarterly Meeting
    May 30, 2021 · News · XE1R

Major items before the Executive Committee included:

"Dave Sumner K1ZZ gave a report on recent IARU activities and items on the agenda of the upcoming Administrative Council meeting on June 8th. The current financial report and a discussion of the role of the Assistant to the Treasurer. Jay Bellows, K0QB had resigned as Treasurer and Director of Area B (ARRL). Mr. Rod Stafford W6ROD I the new ARRL international Affairs Vice President and will serve as Area B Director.

The role of treasurer will be undertaken by Mr. Santoyo with the support of Mr. Bellows until the next officer elections at the 2022 General Assembly. The EC formally adopted the IARU branding policy. This includes that all regions and member societies use the same gold IARU logo to create a common unified identification of all IARU activities. In practical terms, this is the retirement of the red Region 2 logo in favour of the gold IARU logo. The EC set a deadline for all Member Societies that have not already changed to the gold logo, to do so by December 31, 2021."

https://www.iaru-r2.org/en/iaru-region-2-executive-committee-quarterly-meeting/

10. K0IDT

I finally read the proposed band plan PDF. A few items of interest, Winlink is specifically mentioned (wonder how that got in there?), not much different from the current R2 band plan, but this quote stands out "More space needs to be found to support the existence of this new family of modes while separating it from conversational data mode activity ", and the loss of phone spectrum on some bands will not fly in the US. The real problems with 'separating this new family of modes from conversational data mode activity' fail to be addressed. Space is carved out for FTx et al but what happens when the next shiny object comes along? ACDS is not compatible with any form of human to human
    "conversational mode". Where's the push for more spectrum instead of carve outs that may not hold for even a year or two?

It's pretty much dead on arrival for the US. I doubt Canada wants to give up what they have now, or any other R2 entity for that matter. The cynic in me says what this amounts to is a vehicle to beat the FCC over the head with to get the ARRL junk petitions passed, but I already said that. I would still like to see the proposed new band plan the ARRL is going to ask the FCC to codify in Part 97. Their track record on what's visible to the membership and what actually hits the FCC hasn't been especially trustworthy lately.

K0UO, KA4DPO, KX4O and 2 others like this.