ad: QSKLLC-1

Iambic or Bug

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KS2K, Jun 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never, ever been able to get friendly with iambic paddles/keyers. Oh, I can use one, but am not good at the squeeze-squeeze. No, not good at all. I just use one like a bug with automatic dashes. Guess I used a bug for way too long. :oops:

When I want to use an electronic keyer, I use a single lever one like the Vibrokeyer. It has the advantage over a bug that it can be used at slower speeds without wrapping solder around your bug's weight or something. If you only plan to work people at higher speed, sure, get a bug. If you want to accommodate those at slow speed use a keyer...maybe like me, a Vibrokeyer. :)

2. W4WVW

W4WVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a Vibroplex bug when I was a teenaged Novice. Like you say, it was just too fast and I only used a SK. Things change over time and I have a KN4YB bug on order. The video does a great job of showing just how slow this bug can go.

PU2OZT likes this.
  3. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="W4NNF, post: 5530409, member: 162023" I can use one, but am not good at the squeeze-squeeze. [/QUOTE]

Some things are well worth squeezing. A girlfriend. A lemon, lime or orange.

A paddle, not so much.

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some things are well worth squeezing. A girlfriend. A lemon, lime or orange.

A paddle, not so much.[/QUOTE]

Bingo, OM! Game over, end of story, zip up your fly! :)

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the method I follow since going from the bug to the Vibrokeyer in the early 60s. I never cared for iambic keying. Even if it's an iambic key I use it as if it were a bug. Of course, unlike the bug the dashes self-complete and repeat so long as the paddle is held. Have had my eye on the Begali HST III single lever key hoping one might come up used or maybe a new one.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have an HSTII and absolutely love it. GREAT feel and weight. And if I'm feeling really kooky I can flip the switch and it becomes a cootie key!!

Dave
    W7UUU

K3XR likes this.
  7. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My two cents: The single lever paddle is the way to go.

W9RAC likes this.
  8. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll add another 2 cents for a total of four.

It's not the money; it's the simplicity.

W9RAC and KC2SIZ like this.
  9. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

W6MK and W4WVW like this.
  10. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Make it 6 cents, N3ZN/SN

W4WVW likes this.