ad: vanity

Iambic or Bug

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KS2K, Jun 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KS2K

KS2K Ham Member QRZ Page

K5TSK, Thanks for your thoughts. To your question; "Could you please tell me what kind of wine I might like", I suggest Danish Cherry Kijafa.

KS2K

2. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't remember the last time I took an alcoholic beverage, but due to uncertain Covid times, I will take you up on that. Provided I can find it in rural Arkansas.
    When I was a wee lad, my dad bought me a Shakespeare fiberglass 8 1/2 foot fly rod, floating line, and an assortment of popping bugs. Taught me how to stretch and wax the line to make it float better. I found it was almost as much fun while preparing for the trip as the fishing trip itself. Back then the wax didn't last long anyway.
    Asking for recommendations is smart, but using that process to decide, just might cause you to miss out on the most fun part of code work. That is, learning which particular scheme is best for you. It's definitely possible that the scheme that you choose, will not produce the most perfect code. Then you decide which is most fun for ragchewing. Which is best for contesting. Good luck. K5TSK CL ..

3. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope, I won't flame you at all. 30 year Bencher user here. The really old Benchers had a tendancy to come apart while operating. I bought mine in 1991 and it has never done that. The problem on the older ones was solved a long time ago. On the newer Benchers the finger pieces are riveted, not the other way around. There is a great article about the entire history of the company, and I attached the part about the early issues to this message. I adjusted my paddle to my liking 29 years ago and have never again had to futz with it other than to clean the contacts, dust it, and simply use it to make tens of thousands of QSOs. Best 75.00 I ever spent on a piece of ham gear. :)

Screenshot_2020-07-06-12-47-45.png

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  4. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Of my three paddles, two are Benchers. My BY-1 was a gift from my parents in 1978, along with an MFJ-400 CMOS Keyer. Still have both, but the paddle has been in storage for about 15 years -- that's when the Hex Key came out. My BY-1 was probably one of the earlier ones (when the finger pieces started coming loose, I contacted Bencher, and they just sent me the new style ones for free), but my Hex Key is earlier in that model's lifespan yet, with a serial number around the low 200's. When I bought the Hex Key, I actually drove out to the Bencher headquarters in Antioch, IL to pick it up. I used the Hex Key until just a couple of months ago, when I acquired my N3ZN model ZN-9 paddle.

So, if my memory hasn't failed me, I still have three bugs and three paddles. Only one straight key, though, a 1942 Navy Flameproof. I kind of use it for a paperweight.

5. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard this on 40 meters within the last couple days:

CQ CQ CQ NO BUGS PSE DE ... ...

Just sayin ...

N2AMM and WB5YUZ like this.
  6. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've owned a basic Bencher BY-1 since about 1980, and I'm still completely fine with it.

It's still in use most every time I fire up the rig and want to operate somewhat QRQ.

I use a different paddle for portable ops (Whiterook MK-44), but still use just the BY-1 at home when I'm not using a straight key.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  7. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

CQ CQ CQ NO 6UGS PSE BE WA1A6C PHE K

F6!

VE3BXG, W5BIB and W5ESE like this.
  8. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

And the responding op, using a bug properly, was not offended.

9. VE3BXG

VE3BXG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have only ever used a paddle, so I can't tell you about sending. But I can tell you about copying. When copying you can always tell when someone is using a bug -- it has a distinct "accent". I find bug CW difficult to copy. Dahs tend to be elongated, and the overall rhythm is one that my brain has trouble with. So I hope you will choose a paddle so that some day when we have a QSO I will be able to understand you!!

10. W4WVW

W4WVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm no expert but I would venture a guess that it's more operator than device. Some bug ops sound awful and I find copy to be difficult as well. Others sound like a keyer or computer generated. I would say most are somewhere in between.