Iambic keying on a TS530?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by G0ILN, Nov 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, as I noted the TS-530S keying voltage is -65 VDC.
    Your Chinese unit likely can not handle that negative voltage, when you select an interface/buffer ... assure components are rated for voltages present.
    Some keyer designs are switchable between Cathode and Grid-block keying.

2. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

[/quote]So will an optocoupler. Select one that can handle the voltage (AND current), and don't hard-connect either side of the output to ground[/quote]

Yes but surely you would have to keep reversing the connections if you went between two different rigs, one with negative keying, one with positive keying? (as I do)

Roger G3YRO

3. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

WA7PRC likes this.
  4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it can be an annoyance (a small one).
    I like it. :)

5. KD5OGU

KD5OGU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I realize its 18 months later.... But where? I dont see it

6. G0ILN

G0ILN Ham Member QRZ Page

It is in his QRZ.Com Header photo. but easily missed.

7. KJ6RFF

KJ6RFF Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried a bipolar optoisolator in my MX-K2 but didn't like having to deal with the polarity issue. The LCA120 OptoMOS Relay, mentioned above, would eliminate the polarity issue, and would appear to be a much better choice, as a OptoMOS relay, than the bipolar optoisolator I tried. I ended up using a Standex-Meder Electronics SIL03-1A72-71D reed relay, which is freely available from multiple sources. It's designed for an operating voltage of 3.o volts (but will operate at 2.1 volts) with a coil current of only 6.0mA (having a coil resistance of 500 ohms). It will switch 200 volts AC/DC with a contact rating current of 500mA (using hermetically sealed, solid-silver contacts). It has an operate time of 0.7ms, and a release time of 0.05ms. Unlike a MOS relay, it is more or less impervious to damage by static electricity or stray RF voltages, with a static contact resistance of 100 mOhm; and it has a tiny form factor of only 1.98 X 0.51 X 0.78 cm. It produces absolutely clean keying - probably better than most mechanical keys. Overall a very good fit.

P.S. It has a diode wired across the coil, built in, so you need to connect the coil to the MX-K2's output transistor with the correct polarity. See the spec sheet for specifics.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  8. G0ILN

G0ILN Ham Member QRZ Page

SIL03-1a72-71D sounds ideal.. . At the moment I have hooked up an old Katsumi keyer and really enjoy using it . It is rather clunky but well made and fits in with the era of the TS530.

I will mod the MX-K2 as it could do with a larger box and a speaker switch besides adding the SIL03-1A72-71D relay.
    Thanks for the info.