Iambic keying on a TS530?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by G0ILN, Nov 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. G0ILN

G0ILN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    I have a TS 530 Up to now I have been using a straight key but wanted to try iambic sending. I have a Chinese MX-K2 CW keyer that works well on my modern rigs but seems to short out on the TS530. I have tried a three wire and two wire 3.5 jack plug connecting leads but both short out. Is it that the internal resistance of the keyer is enough to trigger the keying of the rig? If so has anyone a solution (besides using straight key bug or cootie!).
    Many thanks.
    Richard

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Richard,
    The Kenwood Hybrids were designed in 1970s ... when amateur magazines were filled with
    “New” electronic keyers designed using Integrated Circuits (Accu-Keyer, Curtis 8044).
    Radio transceivers, designed in 1980s (like Kenwood TS-440S) began to include these circuits within radios — sometimes only as options.
    You have stepped “back in time” before that “built-in” feature existed with Kenwood TS-530S.

The 1/4” (6.35mm) Phone Jack, on the Rear Panel is a 2-conductor, Mono receptacle.
    Radio supports a Straight Key, a Side Swiper, and a Vibroplex semi-automatic “Bug”.
    Open terminal voltage on that jack : -65 VDC (Page 12).
    There is NO internal Electronic key circuit to support an Iambic paddle.

SO, your dual paddle will not work without an external keyer for your paddle — many options.
    From early 1970s and classic amateur designs to the current K1EL design.

Kenwood TS-530S : Instruction Manual
    http://www.wb4hfn.com/KENWOOD/Manuals/TS530S_Instruction_Manual_W0NTO.pdf

Page 6 : Figure 2.1 — TS-530S Connections
    Page 7 : Key
    ===
    K1EL Keyers based on programmed K16 chip.
    http://k1el.tripod.com/K16IC.html

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

There were rigs much later than the TS530S that don't have a built-in electronic keyer module !

But Richard, I have just looked up your MX-K2, and see that this is a proper keyer unit.

The problem is that the transistor that does the switching in the output is probably not "man enough" to key your TS530 . . . it may also be the wrong polarity. (hopefully you haven't damaged it by connecting it to your rig - have you checked?)

I use a similar electronic keyer module, but took the circuit board out and fitted it in a box, along with a Paddle and a battery case, plus proper switches. (you can see it if you look at my QRZ.com page)

However - I included a small relay, so the module drives the relay, and the relay contacts switch your rig. This means it will then work with ANY rig.

So using a relay between the module and your TS530S is what you need to do.

Roger G3YRO

4. G0ILN

W9GB
    many thanks for your most thorough reply. I do realise that there is no internal keyer inside a Ts 530.
    What I am basically asking, is there a mod for a Chinese MX-K2 CW keyer that will make it work with a TS530.
    It is probably similar to the K1EL keyer that you mentioned. Have a look at the Chinese MX-K2 CW keyer on EBay it is not a bad little memory keyer
    for the price. This morning I tried it on my TS440 and it works fine. I just need some sort of buffer between the keyer and the TS530.

The memory keyer standardises my four rigs. (Same message, same keying characteristics).

Richard

5. G0ILN

Hi Roger,
    Thanks for the reply. I have some small DIL relays that might fit the bill. Yes I was worried that I might have damaged the keyer but it still seems to be working Ok. It does have its moments when it's brain gets a little mixed up! (it's not alone!).
    I have added an explanation for W9GB that might explain what I am up to.
    Thanks again,
    Richard

6. G3YRO

Hi Richard

Yes a small DIL relay is what I used, as they're very fast. They cost pence, so if ever the contacts wore out, it would be no bother to replace.

The problem with the module I used in my Keyer box is that it has no Knob to adjust the speed (nor did any of the other modules or kits when I built it) . . . so it's VERY tedious to change speed if someone comes back to you faster or slower after an Auto CQ call (trying to change the speed quickly using the paddle often ends up putting it in Command Mode, and it all goes haywire!)

So having looked up your MX-K2 CW keyer, I thought I might get one and take the board out to fit in my unit. However, I gather from reviews that it only goes up to 30 wpm . . .

I've found another new module on eBay that has a knob for speed control . . . I've sent them a message asking the top speed !

Roger G3YRO

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The Kenwood TS-520/530 hybrid rigs used "grid block" keying. That is, the tubes are biased off with a negative voltage until the KEY jack is pulled to ground. The TS-530S manual states the open-circuit (key up) voltage is about -65V. Most modern keying circuits and electronic keyers are designed around a POSITIVE 5V topology.

A relay works but, another popular and easy to implement concept is to use an optoisolator IC (phototransistor, driven by an LED):
    [​IMG]
    The simplest circuit requires two parts, an optoisolator IC and one resistor (in series with the LED). The optoisolator is chosen to handle the voltage and current from the rig, and the resistor is chosen to set the current through the LED. Cost is about a buck. :)

K7TRF and US7IGN like this.
  8. G3YRO

But the beauty of using a Relay is that will then work with ANY rig, regardless of polarity, voltage etc.

Roger G3YRO

KC3RN likes this.
  9. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

So will an optocoupler. Select one that can handle the voltage (AND current), and don't hard-connect either side of the output to ground.
    That's GREAT! Unfortunately, the OP is having a problem with keying a negative voltage w/ his keyer. Your Arduino-based keyer does nothing for that problem.