I would be grateful if someone could spare a keyer!!!

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W3RIP, Apr 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W3RIP

W3RIP Ham Member QRZ Page

‐---------------------------
    Hi Tim,

Thanks for reaching out. I have been learning using the method where you learn the code at approx. 20 wpm. I believe that this factor is contributing as much as anything else to my need for a good key/keyer.

I actually have a hard time u derstanding code when it is slower but I am still working hard to understand blocks of letters together. Does this make any sense?

In any event I did build a keyer out of a couple of switches but there is no way to tie it down. Also can you share with me which side should the dah be on rt or left?

Thanks agaim for your words of encouragement and if you know anyone willing to share a good smooth straight key please point them my way!

Cheers,

W3RIP

2. KB5ZCR

KB5ZCR Ham Member QRZ Page

When you press the left side to the right, it should make dits.
    When you press the right side to the left, it should make Dahs.

This is just the normal way, but you can do it which ever way you want.

I encourage you to use Youtube, you can learn a lot. Just search for CW paddle.
    Here is a vid to get you started.

What QRP rig do you have?

Also, I read your QRZ page it is looks like you have been in ham radio for quite a long time and are net control up on 14300. I would encourage you to start your Morse code with your full power rig, you will get a lot more contacts that way. QRP is a lot harder to make contacts. When I was on QRP, only about 1/3rd of my CQs ever got an answer, 100 watts make a lot of difference when calling CQ.

GL (shortcut for good luck when using CW).

Tim
    kb5zcr

K9ASE likes this.
  3. KB5ZCR

Saw this in the key pics topic and thought it would be pretty easy for you to make for just a couple of bucks. That switch is in all kinds of things, or you could buy the switch new and make one up.

[​IMG]

KE6EE likes this.
  4. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't need any gear to learn code. Many of us who learned code as youngsters practiced by talking to one another in code: instead of saying "hello" we'd say di-di-di-dit dit di-dah-di-dit di-dah-di-dit dah-dah-dah. And so on. You can learn the proper rhythm very well just by spelling out anything that you see with your internal voice sounding out the code.

In terms of learning speed, don't be seduced by the notion that learning at speed will make learning faster and easier. It will NOT do so
    if you cannot recognize characters at a slower speed. You need to learn code at a speed where you can easily distinguish one character from another. Attempting anything other simply will not work.

Don't overthink the learning. Patience and focus are critical to learning Morse Code. It is actually a very simple learning task and it
    has become vastly overcomplicated by the publicizing of all sorts of "shortcut" methods. Learning the alphabet and numbers, with a
    modest amount of daily practice, should take no more than two to a few weeks time. If you are not steadily progressing, you are not
    learning this really very simple task. Remember that at some point in time all hams had to learn code. During the Second World War
    hundreds of thousands of people learned the code in a few weeks. Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, etc.

I think that the shortcuts have become significant roadblocks to learning. The primary fact is that the human brain is an automatic
    learning machine. It does not have to be taught how to learn, unlike a computer.

5. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I cannot condone learning "blocks of letters", it's almost like you must believe only certain words are all you will ever encounter in a given QSO. Vy far from the truth. Unless all you intend to do is scripted DX 599 TU or SKCC types of "QSO's" then you will be lost vy quickly.
    Speed is not accuracy. Go for accuracy first, the speed will come along in due time.

6. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like AbacusArts and Noel Studios are thriving businesses...
    Why u come begging for a hand-out key here??
    Tell you what; You "give" me 50 bucks and I will "give" you a nice straight key...
    The Jigs Up OM...
    Buy yer own gear like the rest of us underpaid and retired guys.

7. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

Obviously. The point is, make a key from bits of a beer can ... same quality as anything from MFJ

8. KB5ZCR

I mapped the address you posted in your first post when asking for a key.
    Looks like a lot of room for antennas, very nice.

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

A clone of the crappy Ameco K1 -- ick.

There's no reason to not start with a decent electronic keyer. My K1EL WinKeyer USB (http://www.hamcrafters2.com/WKUSBX.html) can be programmed to function as a semiautomatic "bug", with the dahs being manually created. Then, to use it as a straight key, just turn your paddle on its side. WinKeyer USB has MANY more features.

10. W3RIP

W3RIP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to all who have reached out to help. For those questioning my situation all I can say is try not to throw too many stones until you have walked a mile in my shoes. Yes, I do have two small businesses and I am not trying to hide anything. Anyone who is self employed understands the dynamics of what all that means. I do also have a disabled wife who, although she is unable to work, is very supportive and I am sure this tough time will pass. I will say I have learned a bit about cw and this community from my post. Again a heartfelt thank you to everyone who has commented. I hope I will run across some of you on the air. If anyone is interested I do volunteer as a Net Control Operator for the Maritime Mobile Service Network and am on the air every Saturday at 4:00pm (EST). I am still looking for a straight key and I will be happy to let everyone know if one ever makes it way to me.

73's and Thanks again!

W3RIP

WA7PRC likes this.