I worked ISS... I instantly

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K2FR, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2FR

K2FR Guest

felt better about my day...

... was it talking to a person orbiting the earth in a space station that made it awesome?..

was it that i did it with 5 watts made it better?

the fact I filmed it?..

yes 3x..

=) Man that freaking rocked having ISS return your call lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmcV6xKSaSI

I cant wait to try again! and maybe get his name correct lol!

Andrew - K2FR

2. W4SUL

W4SUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Great deal, congratulations! I'd put my contact with the ISS on my web page as well. Enjoyed watching yours, thanks for sharing.

It's a great feeling to work them there guys up in space. The QSL is very nice, and the ARRL sends it out FAST.

3. KJ6EUO

KJ6EUO Ham Member QRZ Page

very cool!
    How about a rundown of a all the technical details?
    Radio, Antenna, Pass angle, ...

4. N1XDS

N1XDS QRZ MODERATOR Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Congrats on making contact with the International Space Station. Only person I made contact with that is well known was Gordon West ham class. :D

5. KD8JFO

KD8JFO Ham Member QRZ Page

i would LOVE to do that!

6. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Try doing THAT on your CELL PHONE ! ! ! :eek: ;) :) :cool:

7. KD8JFO

KD8JFO Ham Member QRZ Page

EXACTLY!!!

8. WF7A

WF7A Ham Member QRZ Page

"So, do you guys want me to send up a pizza or something?"

9. KT7DAD

KT7DAD Ham Member QRZ Page

I handled it with dignity.....

I only called 10 people and told them.
    When K7KTI made contact, well that's another case........

10. K2FR

K2FR Guest

It was probably the fastest most amazing contact ive ever made.. granted i screwed up his name, and probably sounded like a dork.. and afterwords i couldnt sit down to pull the video off the camera cause i was too excited..

=) it was perfect

11. K2FR

K2FR Guest

As for the technical stuff =)

I was using my Yaesu VX-8R with the split frequency's for ISS FM
    the antenna was an Arrow 3 element 2 m beam

the max elevation for that run was 51', so it was very high in my sky.

12. KD8KSN

KD8KSN Ham Member QRZ Page

I got his name right (Col. Doug Wheelock), but I jumped and screamed afterward...... Hope there wasn't a car driving by at that time. I can see it now - "op: 911 emergency - yes, I would like to report a guy out in his yard, with a big mental stick in his hand with lots of pointy things sticking out, and he is jumping up and down and screaming - op: he is what???? - j u m p i n g u p a n d d o w n a n d s c r e a m i n g......"

13. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

You do relize, that outside of this forum, everybody else will think you are full of it?

"yah right, you talked to the astronots on yer cb, SURE you did....:rolleyes:"

It's OK, we understand!:D

Rege

14. KD8KSN

KD8KSN Ham Member QRZ Page

It all depends on who you talk to.... Your uncle who knows you and knows about what Hams do, he would think that’s pretty neat, but the guy checking you out at the grocery store, that’s a different ballgame.

15. KF4UGA

KF4UGA Ham Member QRZ Page

ISS contacts

Congrats on working ISS so fast. I listened, and tried calling on their passes for 3 days before getting my first contact after 6amEST. I woke up the everyone in house and probably some in the cemetery down the road as well LOL :D It was well worth the time to work something moving at over 18,000 mph but only 200+ miles away. Later I got a personal letter from Richard Garriott W5KWQ, and that brought it the feeling back again. Good luck on many more contacts !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.