I want to QRP

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KE0JIT, Jun 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

My Advice.
    For success with QRP, use a BIG antenna to get your small power out with maximum efficiency. At 5 W you are already at a big signal disadvantage against the majority of HF operators running 100 to 1500 watts output !
    Next, you have to accept that a simple station gets an advantage by using CW, so learning Morse is like training for an atheletic event, Pretty much necessary !
    Some DIGI modes are touted as requiring less power to get thru BUT you have to have a computer and buy a suite of programs to encode and decode tha signals, and have a box to interface the comuter with the rig, etc... This makes portable field operation a big headache, lugging all that extra gear.

2. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I second the big antenna advice. I don't understand putting yourself at a disadvantage with 5W, and then again with a crappy antenna. Might as well just turn it off.

3. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like you are starting out. Go at min 100 w and enjoy the hobby. Limiting yourself to 5 w can be very frustrating. Not only for you as the sender but more for the one on the other end. Many times its up to the receiver to make the contact happen. Many times, I can tell immediately if the person is qrp.

You see stories of all these hams strictly qrp and what they work and it is inspiring but can be a big challenge.

kb4mng

N8AFT likes this.
  4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I must agree 100% ! QRP is best left until you have some experience. It's even harder now that the solar flux is at a bare minimum.
    I have to run >300w regularly for regional daytime 40m CW lately...
    YES, the receiving station does the heavy lifting, sucessfuly if he has the right gear and the experience.
    Even with that, if there's not enough signal to work with, the best receiver antennas filters and headset won't do miracles.

5. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm? ..that means when I get a QSO it is with a capable and experienced radio amateur.

..sounds good to me!

..and, meanwhile, I can fool around with different antennas and different locations until I become capable and experienced.

If I were contesting or collecting awards, I might feel differently about it.

..but QSO?

I would rather QSO with skilled radio amateurs.

6. MM3ENM

MM3ENM Ham Member QRZ Page

A nice day of QRP: Lying on the grass at the top of the hill, enjoying the weather, not in a hurry, a handful of contacts is good enough to make it worthwhile.

W7CJD likes this.
  7. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

...and not getting any ticks.

WN1MB and MM3ENM like this.
  8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an average shack but went to extra effort to get my antennas far from neighbors and power lines behind the house. I have been working plenty of QRP stations over the years, quite often they can't hear me (usually 95 W output) as well as I hear them !!! :eek:

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Contesting? That "599 73 QRZ" crap gets real old real fast for me !
    Awards , OK I have a wall full of awards from the SKCC club and QRP clubs. That has been fun for me.

N8AFT likes this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sooner or later you're going to have to drop those crutches. Why not avoid getting used to them and simply jump in and learn the code?

N8AFT likes this.