I want to get a Portuguese callsign, need help!

Discussion in 'Becoming a Ham - Q&A' started by TA4ABJ, Dec 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. TA4ABJ

TA4ABJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone,

I'm a fairly new 25 year- old Turkish Ham that is married to a Portuguese and about to move to Portugal. I have an HAREC class licence in Turkey and I currently do not have the language proficiency to take a test in Portuguese. I tried sending messages to some Portuguese hams that I found on QRZ.com however they have not replied so far so I decided to create this thread. I have a couple of questions to ask, if you know the answer please enlighten me.

Can I use my Turkish licence to get a HAREC class licence in Portugal?(I don't think so but I've read a topic from 1999 where it said so)

Can I have a test to get a licence in English in mainland Portugal?

If I have a HAREC licence can I immediately start transmitting or do I still have to wait for 2 years before transmitting?

How much is the spectrum usage tax that you have to pay in Portugal as a ham?

Thank you for your precious answers

de TA4ABJ

K4MID likes this.
  2. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Contact Portugal's national amateur radio society:
    Rede dos Emissores Portugueses (REP)
    https://www.rep.pt/

3. E73Y

E73Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Sercan,

Turkey is a CEPT country which means that you can operate from any other CEPT country without a need for exam. Depending where you will be located, you can immediately start using CT7/TA4ABJ from mainland Portugal, CT8/TA4ABJ on Azores or CT9/TA4ABJ from Madeira.

When you get your Portugal permanent residency status, you can apply for a regular CT callsign using your CEPT HAREC (Harmonised Amateur Radio Examination Certificate). Again, there is no need for an exam as TA and CT HAM radio licensing requirements are 'compatible'.

73's Boris E73Y

K4MID, K4NWD and KS2G like this.