I want a mobile 2m that gets citizens band also...

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by Ki6NLU, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. Ki6NLU

    Ki6NLU Ham Member QRZ Page

    Hi all....brand new ham here. As the title suggests, I'm looking for a mobile vhf/uhf that will also TX on the 27mhz CB frequencies. I spend a lot of time in the woods with other Jeeps running vhf/uhf but most guys just have CBs. I would like to sell my CB and have an all-in-one 2m/440/27mhz unit, if possible.

    I'm hoping that some of the inexpensive (under$200) dual band units can be unlocked or otherwise modified to get the CB channels. Hopefully this isn't a dumb question...as I said...I'm new. I can't find anything on this subject anywhere.

    Thanks in advance.
  2. N0IU

    N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

    You can't find anything on the subject because it doesn't exist, at least not legally.

    Instead of butchering a radio to do something it wasn't designed for, you'd be much better off getting a VHF/UHF mobile rig and a separate CB and never the twain shall meet!

    Scott NØIU
  3. KD5BLZ

    KD5BLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

    There is no such thing for good reason.
    Yout best bet would be seperate CB do not even think about running more then 4 watts you will risk losing your Tech License.
  4. N2RJ

    N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    Just get a separate CB. It's better that way.
  5. WA9SVD

    WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

    And if you get an FCC certified CB radio, it will be legal in addition.
  6. K0CMH

    K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

    Just to add to the clamor:

    The FCC regulations require that CB radios must be "type accepted". That means each CB radio must meet specific electronic requirements. These are to prevent signals from being over 4 watts and to assure that the width of the signal meets those specified by the FCC.

    Amateur equipment is not "type accepted" because we are allowed to experiment. However, we are bound by FCC regulations that do specify power limits and signal widths.

    The difference is due to the fact that Hams are allowed to either purchase or build equipment that meets the requirements because of their training and knowledge (at least we are supposed to). There is no test or knowledge level required for CB.

    Therefore, a modified Ham radio would not be "type accepted" when used on the CB frequencies.

    To get equipment "type accepted", one must submit it to the FCC for approval. This is not cheap or quick.

    And once a radio is type accepted for CB, the criteria for that acceptance causes it to not function on any other frequencies.

    Hope this helps explain things better.
  7. KB0TT

    KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    N2RJ said it.... That's it .... It should put the final point to this thread ....

    We will see .... Don't hack a unit , like an FT 597 or FT 100 to do these things .... It probably COULD be done yet get that CB out of your blood ... Just buy a cheap CB for your woods running with your buddies .... Plus, it would illegal .....

    Thats it .... Done ......

  8. W5HTW

    W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

    I've been looking for a Corvette that will serve double duty as a furniture moving truck.
  9. N3EF

    N3EF Ham Member QRZ Page

    Just an FYI, "Type Acceptance" was written out of the FCC rules nearly 10 years ago. It was changed for various reasons but has since been termed, "Certification".

    Eric N3EF
  10. K5GHS

    K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

    The VX7r will "get" CB also. I'm assuming by get you mean receive.

    Course, it won't work till you're right on top of the guy transmitting unless you put an external antenna on it (and even then, its still gotta be pretty powerful). And its only receive.

    But, if you are looking for reception only, its possible. Transmit is another game, and the people above have already covered that well, and you should follow their advice.

    Not just for the FCC aspect, but if you buy an all in one radio, and part of it fails (or all of it) you'd have to get another radio. I'd personally buy seperate. The CB goes out, just get another CB instead of a whole other radio.

    Its like those TV/VCR/DVD combos they come out with. I suppose you can live with it and get another DVD or VCR when they go out, but when the TV goes, you wind up tossing the entire thing. Sometimes its better to have seperated stuff-especially in a mobile environment. Sure, it can be a pain to have more than one antenna, but if your intent is to have communications in an emergency, I wouldn't want one radio that if it goes, you're totally out of luck. I'd rather have a few of them. Probably a CB, a good 2m/440 rig, and a good HT with good batteries and 5W output in my backpack "just in case".

    All in one isn't always good. Especially in this case where you won't find one type accepted anyway.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

ad: vanity