I upgraded my license, now I have a question???

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KM4JZJ, Jun 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KM4JZJ

    KM4JZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    Today, Friday June 10, 2016, I took and passed the test for Amateur Extra. :cool: :) :D

    My question is, what do I use past KM4JZJ/? I've heard two different things, /AG and /AE. Which is correct for me to use until I see my upgrade listed with the FCC License Search?

    Thanks, de KM4JZJ/??
  2. WA4SIX

    WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

    /AG is for General & /AE is for Extra, by my understanding.

    WB7OXP and KE0RG like this.
  3. KA0GKT

    KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

    Ed's right. Your entry in the ULS shows that you are currently a General Class licensee, formerly a Technician Class Licensee The /AG would be proper if this is correct. If you recently upgraded from General to Amateur Extra, then you would sign /AE when operating in the Extra Class portions of the band; on band sections where you had privileges before the upgrade, the Suffix wouldn't be necessary...except to brag.:D On Phone the Fraction Bar would be voiced as "Interim" as in "This is KM4JZJ Interim AG".

    If you recently upgraded to General, the fact that the class of your license is indicated correctly in the ULS should indicate the upgrade has been issued and the paper license hasn't reached you yet. If that is the case, you don't need to go through the /AG rigamarole, just sign your call as usual. If you recently upgraded to Amateur Extra, you'll need to sign with the /AE until the upgrade appears in the ULS.
    KI5WW likes this.
  4. KM4JZJ

    KM4JZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    Thanks Ed and Steve. That's what I thought, but I just wanted to be sure. Now I know. :) I upgraded from General to Extra. So /AE it is. :D
    When I upgraded from Tech to General, I never did get to use the /AG, cause all I had at the time was 2 and 10 meter ham, and that was a year ago. I finally got my ic-7200 a couple of months ago, but now I'll get to use the /AE. :D:D

    Thanks again. de KM4JZJ/AE
  5. N0IU

    N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

    Since you are already a General, you only need to add the /AE to your call when you are using the Extra portions of the HF bands.
    WA7PRC likes this.
  6. KM4JZJ

    KM4JZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    Hey Scott, hopefully I'll be using the /AE a few times before I see the upgrade on the FCC License search. I never did have a chance to use /AG when I went from Tech to General. I didn't have an HF rig then, just 10 and 2 meters, but I do now, so I'll be able to call using /AE for a few days. :)
    I've already been scanning there looking for DX, Contesters, National Parks, or someone causing bottle necks. :D

    de KM4JZJ Steve
  7. WA9SVD

    WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

    Simple. IF you have the CSCE for the Amateur Extra, all you need to use is the /AE appendix. And once the upgrade is in the ULS/FCC database, you no longer need that. Congratulations on your upgrade!
  8. NK7Z

    NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Enjoy your new /AE suffix while you have it, and congratz to you!
  9. KM4JZJ

    KM4JZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    That's what I've been doing today, and the National Parks is a good way to use it. Thank you WA9SVD

    Steve, KM4JZJ
    73's :)
  10. KM4JZJ

    KM4JZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    I've already worked a National Park in the Extra range, so It will be used for a few day. Thanks Dave.

    Steve, KM4JZJ
    73's :)

Share This Page