I thought 50.125 was a Calling Frequency...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, May 3, 2021 at 2:07 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Okay, I will reveal my secret 10 and 6 meter "opening the band" tactic.....shhhh!

Myself and whomever the local buddy is I can drum up park on 28.4 or 50.125 call CQ bunch of times without success and then we have a extended ragchew on the "calling frequency" about how dead the band is and all the Techs must have mic fright.

It's a great SSB reverse beacon scheme to see who comes on to police the frequency and complain. :D

@KM6CND I would be absolutely thrilled to have you shoo us off 50.125!!!

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 12:07 PM
    AD5HR and K0UO like this.
  2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

ha ha, great topic... last year a bunch of us were experimenting with different bands for a regional net... I misremembered 50.120 being calling frequency, so suggested we move up to 50.125... worked great! we got a half dozen other locals in the round tables... lotsa good stories about 6m adventures. gently admonished, we moved up to 50.130...

3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't, it's on my rifle

N1VAU, W9FL, KI5AAI and 1 other person like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I hear the "let's have a long ragchew on 50.125" stuff pretty often. Been that way for decades, this is nothing new.

The "old" 6m "calling frequency" in the 1960s was 50.110 (now that's considered a "DX calling frequency," when gentlemen American ops do not hold QSOs with each other) and even back then the same thing used to happen.

Good thing about 6m openings is they do prompt more activity as 6m enthusiasts alert each other of the opening (in the old days, we used the telephone!), so simply moving up to .130 or above that easily yields contacts. Call CQ.

"If nobody transmits, nobody hears anything," and this is so true of six meters.

K0UO likes this.
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, there are miles and miles of disused spectrum including around that calling frequency. If someone's on there yakking that means the band is open. So, move five up or whatever and call CQ. Not complicated is it? ;)

KA0HCP, W0FS, N3AWS and 1 other person like this.
  6. N1ZZZ

N1ZZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Many years ago I was working from a water grid on 50.110 and had a nice (split) pileup going. I was in the middle of the Atlantic and was getting signals from both EU and the Americas. People started complaining that I was on the "Call frequency." I had originally thought that it would be easy to find me there, but I moved to keep them happy. The fun thing about working from water grids on a ship is that the pileup starts up all over again as you move from grid to grid.

N3AWS, N1VAU, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  7. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

People get way too serious concerning "calling frequencies" instead of getting excited about an opening band. No doubt these are the same who chase visitors out of their seats at church because they've been sitting there for 2 decades.

N2UHC, N3AWS, K0UO and 2 others like this.
  8. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, be happy the band is open. Also, be happy folks are using SSB instead of FT8.

KA0HCP, W0FS, N1VAU and 3 others like this.
  9. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This is the biggest inside joke ever played on you @ the club meeting, the ham fest, and the pages of several books and magazines, now the Zed is in on it?

Not.

Real HAMS don't let other hams not drive their VFO.

RRK

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldnt call them idiots. The reason they stay there is none of the questions on their Walmart license covers much of anything useful for actual operating...it aint their fault folks.

Try to do something useful which is called MENTORING. If there is no DX Im often on around .400 on AM with a Clegg Zeus at about 500W PEP and a Clegg Interceptor B for RX.

Carl

WD4ELG likes this.