I thought 50.125 was a Calling Frequency...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, May 3, 2021 at 2:07 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously, I keep a radio in the "bedroom shack" and it's tuned to 50.125 all night long, I figure if the band opens up, it'll wake me up and I can Play Radio.

18:00 PST, I fire up the radio and discover the band is open! and a LONG WINDED multi-station QSO is on going on 50.125... I still can't get in to politely ask them to move to 50.130 to free up the calling frq.

The band is finally open and the call channel is useless.:(

2. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm betting if you moved to .130 it could have been fruitful. Others likely struggling like you could have been listening off-freq.

KB2SMS, N4QX, N3AWS and 6 others like this.
  3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The 'call channel' is often the first place people notice activity, and they tend to congregate there. The same is true on 28.400. If it's DX you are hearing, the frequency has done it's job, and alerted you to a band opening. Call CQ above or below that frequency. If it's a bunch of locals ragchewing, that is ignorance.

K0UO and (deleted member) like this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome to the Gentleman's agreements on Calling frequencies. HI
    Just move on and be happy the Band is Open

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 2:52 AM
    KB2SMS, WD4IGX, N3AWS and 10 others like this.
  5. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

I think most guys, hearing that .125 is busy, will tune around to hear what else is going on. You'll have no problem calling CQ up frequency a bit.

WG8Z, N1VAU, WA9SVD and 1 other person like this.
  6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

NO NO NO, Someone touched me on the call frequency, I gotta post about it on QRZ HAHAHAHAHA

KI4RFU, N1EN, K0UO and 3 others like this.
  7. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this seriously all there is to whinge about?

KI4RFU, KI5AAI and K3XR like this.
  8. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, someone has taken all the good whine topics like why is the 7300 killing the used radio market and All HaMs are an acronym already.

K0UO, W4NNF and WA9SVD like this.
  9. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with the above. When the calling freq is being misused by idiots, tune around for some action. Don't forget about 50.400, the AM calling frequency. Could be some action there.

Ed

W0PV and K0UO like this.
  10. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Use your scope.

KB2SMS, N3AWS, W9FL and 4 others like this.