I think I'm gonna hurl...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0EYJ, Jun 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AF4LY

AF4LY Ham Member QRZ Page

I would climb that, as long as I have a safety harness. Without one, I would be one step away from death at all time and that would give me a vertigo. lol

N6QIC likes this.
  2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

your mom is a responsible person. Trespassers are not responsible people and their actions put others at risk. If you think that is the thinking of an old lady, then so be it. .

N2EY likes this.
  3. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you very much master

4. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

K3EY likes this.
  5. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

People have fallen from well over 100-feet above ground and have survived. Theoretically, the speed of a falling object will increase the farther it falls. However, air resistance comes into play and that object reaches a terminal velocity. I have read that, where the human body is concerned, this terminal velocity is, generally, between 100 mph and 120 mph.

Of course, just where the falling person has landed played an important part in their survival. Those who have landed in freshly plowed fields, or, sometimes, in water, have a slightly better chance of surviving than those who have landed elsewhere.

However, whenever I am on a tower, I definitely make sure my safety equipment is in place!

Glen, K9STH

AF4LY likes this.
  6. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've ridden horses on the edges of 800 foot cliffs with no problem. But man made, can't handle more than about 50 feet.
    Painted barn roofs that were 30 feet high with no safety equipment. Six feet of manure on one side and hard gravel surface on the other.
    Luckily I never fell.

7. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

People die at a 10 foot fall, a 100 foot fall is one in a million survival rate.

I watched a construction worker fall at 40 feet in Pittsburgh and he was instantly dead, which is pretty normal.

Like you, you may live to 135, or maybe not. That makes as much sense.

8. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They climbed with a safety harness from the inside of the tube.

9. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

3EY:

People have died tripping over a curb. I did not say that surviving a fall from over 100-feet above ground was common, only that there have been those who have survived such a fall.

As for living to be 135: I know of one such person who was at least 138 when he died. However, his exact age was unknown because he was "slave born" and the only notation that was found was the receipt, from a slave auction, during the Civil War, where he was described as a "teenage" male slave. He lived in Celina, Texas, and, according to the volunteer fire chief who told me about him, he made his living, until just a couple of weeks before he died, mowing lawns with an old type manual push-mower.

In 1988, I was on my was to a meeting with this volunteer fire chief when I came across a small house, barely more than a shack, that was on fire. Since my company was handling the communications for virtually all the public safety organizations in the county, I had been authorized to have equipment capable of operating on the various frequencies used by those agencies. I contacted the county dispatch for the volunteer fire departments and that facility activated the paging tones for the Celina Volunteer Fire Department.

I had my 35 mm camera with me and I took quite a number of photographs of the fire scene. The fire was the result of arson and the person, who had started the fire, was caught. My photographs were used as evidence in the trial of that person.

After the fire was put out, I had my meeting with the fire chief. He told me that the house had been owned by the individual who was at least 138-years old and had died just a couple of weeks before. At that time, Celina was just a very small town and the fire chief was familiar with just about everyone who lived in the town. I had no reason to doubt what the fire chief told me!

Of course, that particular individual would have been recognized as the oldest person still living had there been any actual record of his birth, But, a receipt, from a slave auction, was definitely not a record showing his actual date of birth.

Here are some of the photographs, of the fire, to show that the situation actually existed.

Fire-1.jpeg

Fire-2.jpeg

Fire-3.jpeg

Glen, K9STH

10. AF4LY

AF4LY Ham Member QRZ Page

NVM...