ad: ProAudio-1

I Think a Bunch of Wives / Girlfriends Now Know Why.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, Feb 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

The best vehicle I've ever had for snow driving was my D21 Pathfinder with an honest to goodness LSD in the rear end. My R50 was awful, my Armada is awful, and yes even my Titan XD is awful in the snow (it doesn't have the locker). I remember some Christmases out in Omaha back when I was married... driving in 2 feet of snow was the best present lol

WZ7U likes this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like my rig. I think it may be considered a D21 too. I should know, but it seems I forget more than I remember these days. It's the 4x4 king cab pickup on 31x10.5's, had it since new and it's turned 24 this year. In fact, I'm heading out to retrieve another scardey cat from the overnight shift in about an hour!

3. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My ancient Sequoia seems to outperform my Tundra in snow driving. It's got more bells, whistles, and doodads for the purpose, and has a lower c.g.. Really aggressive all terrain tires don't hurt either. Unfortunately, the Sequoia is in the shop - somebody rear-ended me at high speed on the freeway a couple weeks ago, and the vehicle and I are both wrecked. So, it's the Tundra to get through the blizzards for now.

Californians often don't prepare for snow. Or, they think they're prepared and they're not.

N5PZJ likes this.
  4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Good grief, without a radio?!? :D

AC0OB and WQ2H like this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Update - Had to throw iron this morning. First time in years. I guess those tires are getting more worn out than I realized. At least I didn't put it in the creek over the embankment :D It's what I get for slowing in a turn, on a hill, in the slush.
    Snow here in the lowlands is turning to slush, but go up a few hundred feet off the river delta and it's still nasty. Hopefully it all just goes away in the rain, but then there's the flooding issues...

6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

14-inches of snow on the ground is just "light flurries" from the "snow capital" of Indiana, LaPorte, where I grew up! More like 24-inches to 36-inches with more falling!

My wife was born in California and raised, from age 3, in Atlanta, Georgia, had never seen more than a few inches of snow on the ground. In March, before we were married, I took her from Atlanta up to LaPorte to meet my parents. Although there were patches of snow on the ground, not much was there. She kept asking when we would start seeing snow and I told her that once we were in LaPorte County there would be snow. About 1/2-mile south of the Kankakee River (southern border of the county) the ground started being covered with snow. By the time we got to the river, there was over 1-foot of snow on the ground.

The next morning, my now wife was sitting at the kitchen table and looked out the window. Snow was falling at a rate of 4-inches to 5-inches an hour. My wife said, "oh, look, it is snowing". My mother looked up and said, "light flurries"! What would have been a blizzard in Atlanta was just "light flurries" to my mother.

As for radio equipment in the automobile: My wife has no interest in amateur radio. However, for the almost 54-years that we have been married, she has insisted that there be at least a 2-meter mobile in the vehicle "just in case" it is needed even though for more than 20-years we have had a cellular telephone.

Glen, K9STH

7. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Had limited slip differential a couple of vehicles ago. Honestly, a couple hundred pounds of weight in the back is more effective. Talking about a pickup truck here. I drive in the snow all the time here in NH, seldom need the 4wd with some weight back there.

AC8UN likes this.
  8. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the only time so far this year that I have even engaged the 4WD on mine was to pull my stepdad out when he slid sideways in the driveway. Hasn't been needed, and most folks seem to not understand it doesn't help you stop any better... ;)

AC8UN likes this.
  9. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

This afternoon we here in Poverty Flats got 2 inches.......of rain. It's 61 degrees at 8:44pm, but it certainly beats snow and cold. And rain here never last long, it'll be dry and sunny in the next couple of days.

10. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not familiar with that phrase but it sounds like you ran off into a ditch :)
    Sometimes the big vehicle guys get over confident - haha!

WZ7U likes this.