I Think a Bunch of Wives / Girlfriends Now Know Why.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, Feb 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

I am in So Cal, Huntington Beach. We had about an hour of rain this morning. Earlier in the week, my lady friend thought Sat would be a good day to build a Snowman. Me thought, Sat. rain...no good idea My Lady.

About sundown I am monitoring the Catalina repeater 147.090 (coverage is all of So Cal) and I hear a station call another station with no reply. A moment later that same station called for anyone available. I replied.

"KM6CND, Jeff in Huntington Beach, how can I help"?

This is ***KBH. We are stuck on Mount Baldy. Snowed in. No cell service. Please, can you make some calls for us?

Clear to copy...go ahead.

The first calls were introduce myself and pass the word.

"No cell service. We are all safe"

"Oh thank you Jeff, you are an Angel". "No Jessica, this is just what we do"

About an hour later

Calls made to Christina, Jessica and Stephanie, "45 mins more and we can start down"

"Oh thank you Jeff, you are an Angel". "No Jessica, this is just what we do"

Much Later... the Highway Patrol estimate was wrong.

Calls made to Christina, Jessica and Stephanie later, "2 hours more and we can start down"

"Oh thank you Jeff, you are an Angel" (as tears flow). "No Jessica, this is just what we do"

I am still monitoring the frequency with others until they get down.

This is what we do

N4QX, KF5RRF, N6LSU and 9 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Haha!! :D

I think he's got his system dialed in for his purposes :)

Dave
    W7UUU

[Ironically, I'm in fact snowed in near Seattle with about 15 inches on the ground!]

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Naw, I saw that pic of that four wheeler you have Dave. You can go almost anywhere you put your mind to.

Jeff. Good job man. This is, in fact, what we do. Thanks for doing what we do. Thanks for doing it well.

KM6CND likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed - it's a BLAST to drive in 14 inches of snow! Gotta be bold - FLOOR it or it's over :) But don't get stupid :D:D

KA3CTQ and W9RLG like this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha! Been doing that in the Nissan all day!

6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

When in doubt throttle out

AC8UN and WZ7U like this.
  7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Meanwhile here in Tulsa, Oklahoma......

tulsa.jpg

:D:p

NO5S, KU4X and KP4SX like this.
  8. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

About 30 min after I posted this, the call came back from the Snowed In crew, they were on the way down. A long line of cars with no cell phone service... but one guy had a ham radio in his car...

N4QX and WZ7U like this.
  9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I once got "marooned" in my VW Beetle. The State had "sorta" plowed the road, making it usable, but an "unreal estate" agent had pushed their snow from a long driveway back onto the public roadway, making it impassible. I had to back-up about a half mile. Anything to try to sell a house, I guess takes precedence..

10. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice. In college my girlfriend and I got snowed in for days at a lodge in the Adirondacks. All we had was cold beer and a raging fire.

You can imagine how unbearable that was..... :rolleyes:

KY5U, AC0OB and N0TZU like this.