I sometimes wonder if QRP was a good choice.

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W4WVW, Jun 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4WVW

W4WVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I sometimes get discouraged then I get this: This morning on 6 meters, 1,137 miles with 5 watts from my FT-818 feeding a hamstick dipole at 20 feet. CW using a straight key added to the fun. I've worked all over the world with 100 watts now it's 5 watts turn!

WD4ELG, N9LCD and KU3X like this.
  2. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two towers and a home brew HF amp that can run 1500 watts 24/7, but I have more fun running QRP portable than I do running the primary station.

When I bought the KX3, from the primary, in three months, I started over and work 100 new countries with only 5 watts.

It's great breaking a massive pileup with 1500 watts, but more fun doing same with only 5 watts......and I have done it.

Barry

WW2PT likes this.
  3. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

Six Meters is great for QRP, it's not called the magic band for nothing.

K0UO likes this.
  4. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP is lots of fun if everyone else is QRP also. It's challenging/annoying/discouraging when you're up against others who are legal limit.

5. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes you have no choice but to go QRP if you want to work HF.

I went QRP HF "fixed" with indoor antennas, Ham Sticks to be precise. It didn't work.

Probably would have worked with an outdoor antenna.

N8TGQ likes this.
  6. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP is not for those who require instant gratification. I keep the rigs at 5w at all times except for ATNOs and 80m (where I’m still going for DXCC). At first I’d get discouraged and bump up the power after a few unsuccessful calls, but I slowly tempered myself and put more effort into being smart about chasing DX—lots of listening, lots of tuning around rather than relying on the DX cluster, studying propagation (VOACAP.com is a QRP op’s second best friend after CW), waiting a week or so for DXpedition pileups to wane, etc. Eventually I started making my own luck. I’m not very active, but I’ve not missed too much DX that I’ve wanted to work with 5w. Even most of the ATNOs I work with 100w or 500w eventually get worked with 5w as well. I’m 100% CW, btw, except for an occasional phone contest, and my only antenna at the moment is just a 24’ end-fed vertical wire. Rigs are K3 and KX2. Currently have 75 DXCC worked with this setup.

F8WBD, N8AFT, KC7JNJ and 1 other person like this.
  7. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm "semi-QRP" and happy with the 20W max of my Xiegu G90. It's enough wattage to not get discouraged and low enough to be a bit challenging.

N8AFT likes this.
  8. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

It's important to 'pick your battles' though you can also get unexpected wins. Eg 1000 - 3000km single hop contacts are quite easy. Longer distances less so.

And if you are QRP a good location and antenna can offset some of the disadvantages with lower power. Some examples of QRP.

9. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had owned my 817 for a few years and had never had a HF contact with my 817 or a SSB QRP contact. Peter your videos really encouraged me to give it a do or die try over Christmas of 2017. I am so glad I did as it has been so much fun.

I could really use a nice long distance 6 meter QSO right about now. ;)

10. AA8NN

AA8NN Ham Member QRZ Page

For me qrp can be amazing sometimes, other times disappointing. That's what makes it so rewarding I think.

F8WBD, N4NYK and W4WVW like this.