ad: elecraft

I see all this Solar powered gear

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM4BDH, Nov 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KM4BDH

KM4BDH Ham Member QRZ Page

it seams all i see now days is solar power for remote locations. why no a combined wind and solar. the winds usually pick up at dawn and dusk. could you not utilize that as another source for the shack?

I'm thinking a simple wire frame with light cloth as a sail in a verticle "S" config

2. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to think it's due to a few things:
    -need to make up high, so as to "see" the wind
    -need to make large, so as to couple "lots" of energy
    -needs to work in near-hurricane gusts of wind--or at least free wheel (disconnect generator) during storms
    -and of course, not blow over during said storms

But nothing wrong with trying something out. I don't know of any equations that would relate size and expected wind gusts to actual gathered energy--if such an equation was known, one could do a feasibility examination.

3. WY5V

WY5V Ham Member QRZ Page

N2EY likes this.
  4. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

when building systems in washington state, in the early days, we always used wind to fill when there was not sufficient sun. the newer panels tend to make power at most levels of light, as we evolved, we stopped using wind and just added more storage.

even though we were using marine self contained wind systems, they were a bigger "pita" then the solar panels

stream and river systems can be a much more predictable and stable fill source, or even whole system

for portable, there are lots of useful forms and form factors of solar, there are not alot of easily deployed field wind devices. i have made some field deploy able "stream"/"river" systems, but they are heavy

5. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say your lack knowledge / experience is not taking to the right places ?
    With that I would not suggest that you build your own , not that I'm against home brew , but that having more knowledge / experience to be able to build with .
    I've been working with many types of alternative energy things for over 40 yrs. and generally speaking , nobody has come up with beating regular prop / blade type for the driver , sometimes for urban areas , there have been vertical blades , but except for the special uses , urban , low wind , low mounting etc.

I would guess you maybe finding lots of amazon , chineeze etc. sources .
    For good source , one of the best / only is Home Power Magazine - https://www.homepower.com/

6. AJ6AH

AJ6AH Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think you're going to have much luck unless you can get up in the air a bit. Wind energy goes up as the cube of speed so even a little more velocity makes a big difference and down at ground level there's a lot of turbulence that wrecks the flow.

A bunch of years ago I messed around with a small wind generator. I bought some plastic blades from "a guy on the internet" and welded up a flange to couple them to a large 3-phase servo motor.
    I used it to charge some L16 batteries through a homebrew charge controller.
    The first attempt was on a 10' pole, and it worked but performance was unimpressive. I moved it to a 30+' mast and it was MUCH better.
    It performed well for about 2 years and then one insanely windy night it exploded and tossed the blades. One was still attached, one was found on the ground about 70' away, and the 3rd blade was never found.
    I did buy some replacement blades but we moved away from there and our new location isn't windy enough to be worth the effort so it sits in the basement... waiting.

Picture of it in happier days...

[​IMG]

KA9JLM likes this.
  7. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Many medium-size wind generators don't have the ability to "feather" themselves when they are not under load, so they have to have "dump" resistors to absorb the excess energy to prevent the generator itself from going over-speed. This requires more complicated (and expensive) control and switching electronics. Effective solar charge controllers can be made with a single switching element, that can be as simple as a relay. When the solar panel idles with no load in full sunlight, it just generates max voltage, but nothing gets damaged.

8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

9. KG4RRH

KG4RRH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got PV solar, micro-hydro (in 2 streams), and a couple of VAW turbines (....Google VAWT), along with a large rack of batteries, that provide all the power for our production farm; we don't even have a connection to the grid. Our farm primarily produces specialty, packaged, products today and we've got powered product handling and packaging equipment, not to mention all the "normal" farm stuff. That and the house peaks at around 50-56KW when it's all running, which goes on for a week or so during harvest periods. That was the final design point but it was a long, changing path that got us there all on renewables...I didn't start with that even in the plan.

Using a small VAWT design (...that could be made at home) with a small PV field could power the normal ham station completely if you get the wind/Sun you need. You'd need to do a system analysis with wind/Sun data for your location to see what the possibilities are within your limits of space and cash. There are commercially available small (several hundred watts to 10KW) VAWT units in the market today, if you're not into making airfoils. I doubt if you'll find a "standard" combo system in the market...you've got to design one that right for where you are and what you want to power.

I also did a PT solar hot water system...had roof space left.

10. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Biggest reason: ZONING LAWS

I looked into it, my average wind speed is 18mph. But then you have tower and maintenance every year that requires dropping the tower or climbing, noise issues, design to survive my once or twice a year 95mph winds(there is a reason my 50sq ft rated tower only has 12 sq ft of wind load on it!), third charge controller that can handle wind and they are rare plus expensive in mppt(others put out way to much RFI)...