I SAW A REAL ONE TODAY!!!!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Jan 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

:)

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

Pat had a dream that he was abducted by an Alien using an SX-88??......

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

When my ham radio disposable income savings fund reaches the nearly $4k balance needed to pick up one of these, I'm buying a new motorcycle, instead. ;)

G0JUR, WD4IGX, W4IOA and 2 others like this.
  4. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice radio! But like the SX-88 obsolete :). Wonder what the chronically unhappy are going to find wrong with it? Too many knobs? Not enough knobs? If the display trips your trigger take a look at the
    software for the SDRPlay and put it up on a 27" or bigger monitor.

Note to JY: nice ride but I prefer my VFR800, fills the 'need for speed'.

KK5JY likes this.
  5. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

And the reality is an old Kenwood TS 520S given the same power out and the same antenna from the same location can, 99% of the time, work the same stations the new box can...just saying. Bragging rights? That's a whole different thing

WA9WVX, AC8UN and WW2E like this.
  6. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

You raise an interesting point.

We read about these Sherwood scores and other statistics, but what exactly is the useful difference (though I'm sure some of you OM could translate one to the other.)

An interesting experiment would be to put the two rigs on the same receive antenna on an open band, tweak each radio to maximize the receiver for the conditions, then slowly run each receiver down the band, in a synchronized way (so, for instance, they both cross 14.100 at the same time, then 14.150, etc.

Made a recording of both runs (individually, though they'd be recorded at the same time), and go back and listen. How many signals does each radio allow you to intelligibly copy?

Obviously there's some subjectivity to "intelligible"....but is one radio going to pull out 2x the signals? Or only 1% more?

It would be neat to take those recordings and play them back simultaneously, and be able to flip back and forth...#1, #2... and to hear the differences in audio, sensitivity, selectivity, etc...and what that all means to our ear.

WA9WVX likes this.
  7. N5BCN

N5BCN Ham Member QRZ Page

It's like a sasquatch sighting.....

N0TLD likes this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not on the WARC bands :rolleyes::p

Dave
    W7UUU

K7MH likes this.
  9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rebels are nice for what they are but my 250 lbs on the one in the BRC course brought to mind a certain phrase about an elephant.... I ride a 650 cruiser and my next bike will be bigger, not smaller.

I paid $3350 IIRC for my used bike and it will do me another season or two. I’m way more likely to pay $10k for my next used bike than $4k for a new radio but, hey, buy what makes you happy. :)

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

My expectations are obviously lower than yours. :cool: $5k is about the top for me. I use a bike mostly as a commuter vehicle for short distances -- not much more than a big scooter. The new Rebel looks pretty good for what I would use it for. But my bike fund isn't any better off than my "new Icom radio fund," so this is all quite theoretical. ;)