I need to replace my FT-920 - Help!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K2DN, Jan 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K2DN

K2DN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So my FT-920 is starting to do some weird things and it I think it might be time for a new radio.
    I mainly use digital modes and SSB but I am also interested in CW.
    I am a casual contester but mainly just like to chase DX and grid squares.
    The thing I love about my FT-920 is all the knobs and buttons. Everything I need is right there.

I have been looking at the normal contenders, IC-7300, FTDX10, and the FTDX3000.

I am leaning towards the FTDX3000 due to the buttons and knobs and it just seems a little more robust, but I am a little worried about how old the design is. I don't want to buy something that is not going to be supported much longer. Is this something to worry about?

The FTDX10 looks really nice, but is it $700 nicer than the IC-7300?

I'm sure I can't really go wrong with any of them, but what do y'all think?
    Especially about the FTDX3000.

2. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm like you in that I like the knobs at the ready. I have a 7300 and don't find it cumbersome to use. Turning on the notch filters or using the PBTs is simple. A very nice added bonus is its USB port for easy digital mode use.

I have not used a DX10, but I cannot see it $700 better than the 7300. Keep in mind that I'm a casual user.

3. KC9LOO

KC9LOO Ham Member QRZ Page

As a personal owner, I can highly recommend the FTDX3000. I have not owned a 7300, but it was on my comparison list, the FT10 was not out at that time.
    If you opt for the 3000, just keep in mind it is not just a plug and play unit, some things need to be setup in the menu, but usually once set it is just forget it.
    The 3000 has good filtering and the receiver is just terrific, I cannot say enough to express my love of this radio. I was strictly an Icom user, and never a new one, always 2nd or 3thrd hand bought from friends, this is my first Yaesu, and first new radio. I just wish I had switched earlier.
    If you decide on the 3000, or whatever radio read all the reviews and try to talk to people that own one. Just please read the manual, I read through it 3 times before even powering it on.
    Good luck and Happy radio hunting.

Mike, KC9LOO

K2CD likes this.
  4. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a used FTdx3000, compared it side by side to IC-7300 .... and SOLD the '7300.
    Yaesu 3000 has a "Contour" control, when set up for 10 db gain,
    and centered around 1400hz it can PULL copiable voices out where the ICOM 7300 just hears noise. ...
    ... I'll say it again: FTDX3000 can produce clear copy where the ICOM7300 just makes noise.

5. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

TREASURE THAT FT-920 ....... I HAVE HAD MINE SINCE AUG OF 1997 AND IT'S

STILL LIKE A TIMEX WATCH........HIHIHI........

TODD, THE ARRL DID THE PRODUCT REVIEW ON THE FTDX 3000

BACK IN APRIL 2013 AND IF YOU ARE A MEMBER OF THE
    ARRL I SUGGEST READING IT.

http://www.arrl.org/members-only/Page/288

ITS A GREAT RIG, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A CW PERSON.

73 - K1LKP

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  6. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

7. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

FTDX10.