I need a tuning knob!

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by K5GHM, Feb 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K5GHM

K5GHM Ham Member QRZ Page

Tuning the sdr on a pc with a mouse is tedious. Griffin technology used to make a USB version called the powermate that you can rig to work but it has been discontinued and replaced with a bluetooth that gets poor marks. Has anyone found a decent alternative that is available in the USA? I don't really want to build one, just want a simple knob that works.

2. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Look up Contour Shuttle.

regards, Roy

3. W8TJM

W8TJM Ham Member QRZ Page

KK4NSF and TTIMMY2005 like this.
  4. N1LOU

N1LOU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that I have a full screen/mouse enabled panadapter via the SDRplay RSP1a, I never touch the radio, much less the VFO except to power it up and power it down. I see a signal I want to investigate and I click on it. Simple.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a new SDR transceiver (Xiegu G90) that is a full SDR radio (TX/RX) and has a fine tuning knob on its front panel, as well as 19 buttons and knobs.

It requires no connection to a computer, everything is self-contained and it's about the size of four packs of cigarettes.

Of course it has a front-panel LCD spectrum display and lots of graphics including incoming signal strength in -dBm and stuff that SDRs tend to have.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you use Windows check out MouseKeys. It should be on your system.

upload_2020-3-12_16-4-54.png

7. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve, have you tried it hooked to a PC yet? Inquiring minds would like to know...
    Ed

8. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

SDR Radios: Computer with aspirations to greatness that they will never achieve...

No, thanks! Give me a radio with knobs! But, I know what you mean. Our local club has A Flex radio and an Elecraft. In order to get folks to use the Flex, we had to add a knob like the one the OP originally had. I still can't warm up to the Flex. I'm glad that it is there to use and compare to the "analog" Elecraft.

Yes, I know and understand that both radios are basally SDR's as are most new radios. Its mostly the ergonomics that influence my choices. ...And yeah, I know that Flex has that one radio with a front panel that has knobs. I get it.

So back to the choices:

1. A Flex radio that may be the bee's knee's of computers but also requires and external PC, monitor, and keyboard / mouse to operate.
    2. A Elecraft that is all in one box, but requires the purchaser to continually buy stuff to "upgrade" it to the level of the flex.
    3. Or a radio from one of the "big three" manufacturers that is complete, in one package, already has most if not all, of the "good stuff" built in and is basically plug-and-play.

Even though, I kind of lean toward choice number 2, I like most of us, will most likely do choice number 3. Don't have to make a quick choice though, my current rig is good for quite a while now... If I'm lucky! I'm looking three or four years down the road. The Elecraft will be a serious contender by then and hopefully not so much of a kit thing like they are now...

9. K5GHM

K5GHM Ham Member QRZ Page

And a lot less expensive. They're too pricey for me now. But they sure are nice radios. Elecraft is going to get hit hard with the 705 coming out.

10. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

I kind of doubt that as Elecraft has carved out a niche for themselves. Many that are inclined towards Elecraft's offerings will buy regardless and may well buy another radio as well. There are some who buy purely on specs, but like vehicles, there is also much emotion involved as well.