I need a bit of assistance on a switchbox

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KI5OMM, Oct 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
  1. KI5OMM

KI5OMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I want to try a simple homebrew project of building a microphone switch box so that I can run a single boom mic into two different radios. It's all simple straight thru wiring and 4-pin XLR chassis mount connectors.

I need a rotary switch that will take a 4 conductor input and switch it to either A or B output. My question is what is the correct terminology of the switch? Would it be a 4 conductor 2 position rotary switch? Also where would be a good place to purchase it? Mouser?

Next, should I be concerned about RF if I use a plastic box or should I use an aluminum box?

Any ideas or tips would be much appreciated!

2. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

4 pole double throw toggle switch should work fine. No need for a rotary switch.

KU3X likes this.
  3. KI5OMM

KI5OMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe you are right. That will work just fine for this application. This is my first homebrew from scratch, so I am learning as I go. Thanks for the tip!

4. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I used one of those old computer A/B switch boxes to switch between a microphone and a computer interface for digital modes with the output going to my radio. I believe the rotary switch was a 25 pole, double throw switch, so plenty of connections for microphones.

W4XXV likes this.