I met the "Slasher" on the air...

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N7BKV, Nov 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think this has much to do with what you experienced but SOTA summit designations have a stroke in them, so that would be a proper use of _.._.

KR4EE, M6GYU and N7BKV like this.
  2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I treat the BT a "Break in Thought" (two BT's is like; "I'm thinkin', I'm thinkin'") ;)

N0NB, WB5YUZ and N7BKV like this.
  3. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

The slash or slant (-..-.) got used in military messages called MILSTRIPS, when a ship or other command was ordering something via the federal supply route. The / separated the many (MANY) supply codes needed to order just what you wanted. Each line item might have a dozen slants, and when it was sent twice, you knew that the first item was done and move on to #2.>
    Most MILSTRIPS were just low-priority messages, so the evening watch saved them for the midnight to 0800 watch to give them some mind-numbing stuff to do to kill the time.

KJ4POM, M6GYU and N7BKV like this.
  4. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing new here; that character is actually real punctuation commonly called double dash and can be written as an = sign. Many (if not all) decoding programs print = when a double dash is sent. To properly represent the double dash with alpha characters, the convention isl to use BT with an over strike, meaning it is to be sent as one single character. On the air, it is most commonly used to indicate a pause or a break in thought. Some ops, especially new ones, overuse it as an idling character to indicate that their transmitter really has not failed, but they just can't think what to send next (the equivalent of "um" or "ah" in human speech).

W5BIB and N7BKV like this.
  5. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

/B is for beacon.

6. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

BINGO!

7. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

really?

I'll remember that on senior night... bingo announcer "F 7" ... me "dah dit dit dit dah"

(sorry, need coffee)