I mentioned that I had my ham radio license during a job interview...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0JJG, Feb 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. KE0JJG

KE0JJG Ham Member QRZ Page

And it sure as heck didn't hurt anything.

It's an inside sales position for an electrical wholesale supply company. At the end of the interview, I went out of my way to say, "Hey, by the way..........."

I really wasn't sure if it would help or hurt, but it's a great opportunity, and I wanted to throw a Hail Mary to stand out from the crowd a little. She responded, "Wow, that's very interesting! (I could hear her typing) I'll definitely make a note of that!"

I dunno...... What the hell......if ya got skills, use 'em, don't you think?

YF8EF, K9ASE, KB2SMS and 7 others like this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

YEAH! Let's hope she didn't type something negative...

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Wait.... I thought you were farming antennas?

YF8EF likes this.
  4. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Years ago during job interviews I mentioned being a ham and it appeared to help. I also worked for hams. :)

Good luck and I'm sure it didn't hurt your chances. :)

N5AL, N2NH and WZ7U like this.
  5. K2LCK

K2LCK Ham Member QRZ Page

usta carry a lot of weight, really a lot the NYC Rdio Ciity Music Hall did't have anything to do withradio, and the Radio Flyers wagons, but since TVI, well ,, less to neg......

6. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

If she's under 35, she had no idea what the hell you were talking about, and likely typed "candidate claims to be a part-time DJ and says he runs an actual radio station from his home that can be heard in foreign countries. NOT RECOMMENDED for second interview."

WA3VJB, N3RMC, N5AL and 5 others like this.
  7. KG5QBI

KG5QBI Subscriber QRZ Page

Oddly, I would give it about equal weight as some of the degrees I have seen on some resumes, and more than some certifications. From my perspective, it shows an interest in technology that isn't driven by career/financial goals, that might translate into better than average self motivation to learn.

K4YWZ, KO4LZ, N1OOQ and 5 others like this.
  8. KE0JJG

Actually, no she didn't have any idea. I did my best to explain it with a couple of sentences, saying that I could actually talk across the country and around the world from my basement. It didn't hurt that I bought a couple of spools of 14 gauge for the radials for my 5BTV from that vendor, and I mentioned that as well.

As I said, I don't believe it hurt me any, so I guess if I actually get the job, I'll ask her if it made a difference.

9. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Note she made:

Interviewee mentioned he was a ham radio operator which indicates antisocial behavior, weight issues, out of date opinions, acts the fool around women and narcissistic tendencies. Not a stable prospect.

KC3JTF, WA3VJB, N3RMC and 12 others like this.
  10. KE0JJG

Way ahead of you. We talked about what I did after I got home from work every day, and I told her (truthfully, I swear!) that I lift 3 times per week and run 5 times per week. A marshmallow, I am not.

N2NH likes this.