I know where they went

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by KL7AJ, Oct 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I see that now that we have some LF banks, BC453s have all been snatched up. Rats...wish I had bought one when I could. Anyhoo....working on some original DC receiver designs for those bands.

Interesting to know that MOST modern HF transceivers...even those with general coverage, suck mightily on LF/VLF.

KK4CUL likes this.
  2. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

The manufacturers likely have to implement some tight high-pass filtering or just need to minimize cost/complexity to make room for all the other features. I will say that with my 40m EFHW and a 50Hz CW filter, I can clearly receive about 25 NBD stations in the ~220-~300KHz range, which is pretty surprising how electrically noisy my neighborhood can be!

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

We only have half a handful of NDBs in Interior Alaska, but I'm hoping to cast a wider net soon.

4. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

NDB's in the 200-400 kHz range should be fairly easy with even a modest conventional HF receiver.

I've used an FT-991, a random long-wire, and with Argo have snagged probably over a hundred so far this year.

An extra LNA, such as the SV1AFN 10 kH - 60 MHz, will never hurt.

Conditions are crazy variable, blasting in one minute - totally gone the next. Good luck !

Jim, WQ2H / WK2XAH