I just want some opinions on my options ...

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W2WDX, Jul 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W2WDX

W2WDX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi all,

It's been a while. Now that I am back in my house I have to think about putting my dipole back up. For now it just a simple 75m dipole cut to the so-called "window", with a current balun feed with coax. Eventually I will it will be fed with OWL but that's a separate thingee for the future. For now I just want to get the basic dipole I had up and running.

The setup was a mast goes up from the roof of my house which is centered on a 50'x 100' plot of property. The dipole is an inverted-V with the center about 50' above ground. One leg goes to one corner attached to another mast on the back corner of my garage. The other leg used to go out to a tree on the other diagonal corner. Both ends were about 20' up. It worked fairly well.

Problem now is that tree is no longer there. I was taken down by the town. So there is nothing out there to mount the dipole end to. So a few thoughts came to mind. A fiberglass flagpole for one. Like a 25 footer. It will have to be 8 feet back from the street, so I lose that distance on that leg.

Here's the question. I know I can just fold the leg down (the reason I was thinking fiberglass pole). If I have a non-conductive pulley and bring the folded part down the length of the pole and tie it off with some springee-thingee, how do you think performance will differ. My feeling is not much. I'm not to concerned about the mechanics, I can work that out. It's more what your opinions are on a change in performance, tuning, etc.

My neighbor is cool with the flagpole being right next to their driveway. However, I would have to dig a hole and pour cement to mount the flagpole. So it's a bit of work, and just want to know if it's worth it.

Any suggestions or alternatives are welcome.

Then I'll have buy a flag and a night-light for it.

Thanks

John

2. WA6SW

WA6SW Ham Member QRZ Page

Does your neighbor still have their tree in front? If so, using a thin wire for the dipole they might be up for that.

Glad things are moving along with your place,
    Bill

3. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

You can install an end insulator and run a rope to the flag pole and let the rest of the antenna drop down.
    If you use a pulley ON the antenna, things will get wacko when it rains and may do other odd things
    with the voltage and current on the antenna.
    The rope only has to be a few feet long.

Another option (what I do) is make a coil with #14 insulated wire on a form (pvc or some such) to make up the length.
    I only had 110 feet for a dipole so at the half way out points on each leg I made a tight wound coil about 1.5 inches round
    and about 7 turns of wire.
    55 feet out from the center, it does not impact performance much at all since its only 5 feet less a side, and rain does not bother it.
    The coils have been up for years and the antenna has a low swr and is broad banded.

WA3JVJ likes this.
  4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You can use a metal support (flagpole, push up pole....) and pull the length of the dipole that dangles down out away from the metal support and it will work okay. You need a rope up through a pulley on the support and out a foot or two to an insulator for the antenna wire to pass through to make the corner.

Instead of a metal pole you might be able to have a company install a wood utility pole near where the tree was.