ad: QSKLLC-1

I just got my license

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by NY8Y, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. NY8Y

NY8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, I just got my no-code technician license, and I was wondering a few things. When will my hard copy of my FCC license be in the mail? I want to try out echolink even though it isn't real radio but i don't have a home phone, so the only way I can verify is by scanning a copy. I remember reading somewhere that the FCC doesn't send out hard copies anymore....Also, I was thinking about buying the Yaseu FTM-10r, does anyone have any suggestions/alternatives about that? I'm 15 by the way.:D

2. K9CHP

K9CHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations on your new ticket!
    The FCC will send you a license, but since your call sign is already on its database, you are allowed to transmit on the Technician allocation of the band.:).

You will need to be patient with Echolink though, as they need a copy of your license for security purposes.

The Yaseu FTM-10r looks like an interesting radio. I don't have one so I can't tell you much other than you also will need some way to power it and some way to get your transmission out, meaning a power supply or battery (and charger), a feedline (50 ohm coax) and an antenna.

For antenna, you could look for a mobile 1/4 wave magnetic mount antenna. You could stick it to a cookie tin as ground plane on top of a shelf and transmit indoors, I'd keep the radio on low power though, for safety reasons.

Google j-Pole and you'll find plans to make a decent antenna with copper pipes. But that one will need to be put outside the house, or in the attic, and it needs a feedline, something you need to get from the antenna to your radio. Winter is not the best season to play with antennas. The J-Pole will allow you to use full power, but remember, good practice is to use the minimum amount of power to do the job right.

All these cost a bit of money. You may scrounge old copper pipes for the J-Pole. Coax, used, (keep is as short as possible as it is lossy on VHF/UHF), can be found at hamfests and so can mag-mounted antennas (just make sure you get a 2m/70cm one and not one that some turd said it would be ok and actually would not work or harm your equipment. Buyer beware is always a prudent rule.

I mentioned batteries and I had an gel-cell in mind, with a small charger. The gell cells are very inexpensive at hamfests. Chargers are available too, or go to Harbor Freight. This will also make you independent of the grid for a while (the bigger the battery the longer you'll have) so anyhow, it is good to have.

Amateur power supplies are more expensive. Look at Samlex 1223 or equivalent. Something around 23amps.

Amir K9CHP

3. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome - I'm new myself! Had my callsign about 2 weeks now and got my radio, an IC718 today. I have rigged up a loop just for receiving at the moment and when I have time will build a resonant dipole for either 20 or 15m.

all the best,

Scotty

4. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when the OP read that. :)

A J-pole is a popular antenna, and it will work. However, it has the problem of feedline radiation. I think a better antenna is a 1/2 wave sleeve vertical. It has the ideal low angle gain that a J-pole would have if it were not for the feedline radiation problem. It's actually simpler than a J-pole and has none of the disadvantages.

See http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,70389.0.html

5. W5RB

W5RB Guest

Your paper license was printed and mailed on the Thursday , the 9th . You can print a reference copy by going to your listing on the FCC ULS , here :
    http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3251428
    , and clicking on the Reference Copy link , near top center . Otherwise , however long the USPS takes to get it to you from Gettysburg .

Handheld radios aren't always the best choice for a first radio . Consider a mobile with power supply at home for now , maybe in a mobile later . Much depends on when and where you'll have time to operate . Handhelds can be useful , but can also be somewhat limiting .Talk to more experienced hams about what works for them .Congrats on the license , and have fun .

6. Tonny258

Tonny258 QRZ Member

All these cost a bit of money. You may scrounge old copper pipes for the J-Pole. Coax, used, (keep is as short as possible as it is lossy on VHF/UHF), can be found at hamfests and so can mag-mounted antennas (just make sure you get a 2m/70cm one and not one that some turd said it would be ok and actually would not work or harm your equipment. Buyer beware is always a prudent rule.

7. KJ4NIA

KJ4NIA Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to the world of Ham Radio! I got my license about a year and a half ago and have been loving it ever since.

My name is Bradley, KJ4NIA, and you can catch me on Echolink (my node is in my signature). I'm 14 and it'd be awesome to get to know a new, young ham!

I wish you the best of luck finding a radio and getting it set up! Remember with Technician you still have some HF privileges, such as on 10 meters, where you can talk to people around the world.

Just remember to keep studying so you'll unlock all that ham radio has to offer for you.

Have fun hammin' and 73!

8. AB9YP

AB9YP Ham Member QRZ Page

I was 14 when I passed my Novice and Tech. I worked 2 meters for a while and kind of dropped out of it and expired. Now I'm over 30 and passed my Tech and General a month ago. Does that make me a born again HAM? :p

Anyhow, welcome.

9. K3SFG

K3SFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi! Welcome to the world of Amateur Radio.

CQ young hams...CQ young hams...

The Youth Net takes place every Saturday @ 2 pm (CA Time, PDST)

It is on the N6NFI Repeater, 145.230 -100. Young hams, 18 or younger, can also check-in through Echolink, using
    KR6DD-R (271122), N6WN-R (477737), or K6OJ-R (Primary).

Please help us get the word out, and if you have any questions, suggestion, etc., please contact K3SFG at K3SFG@arrl.net.

Note: Only hams 18 and younger can check-in to this net. Unlicensed youth can check-in under the supervision of a control operator.

Thanks and 73!

- Ryan, K3SFG

--
    Ryan Lee, K3SFG
    Assistant Section Manager - Youth Activities
    East Bay
    ARRL

10. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations Bill!

Welcome to the hallowed exclusive ranks of nerds and society's misfits.

To qualify, you must wear a pocket protector with your name and call letters prominently displayed. Oh, and it has to be able to be read in total darkness.

Then, you must swear a blood oath on your life to never ever rat out another brother (or sister) ham. :D

Seriously, Bill I was about your age when I lost my mind and became a ham about 54 years ago. Later, I found my mind. Now, I seem to have misplaced it somewheres. I'm sure it's only temporary. :)

Have Fun and ask us any questions you might have. We will try to answer them without confusing you anymore than we are.

73, & DX

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.