I've mostly been without a reasonable HF transmitting setup for almost a year. Last October we sold our WV farm and our NC beach home. We moved into town onto about a 1/4 acre lot that isn't in an HOA. Overall, it sure has had an effect on my on-air activities and experiments. I only get to spend a little bit of time with my ham equipment every couple of days. Over the past couple of months I've been doing a lot of measurements, clipping, snipping, winding/rewinding transformers, etc., to optimize my very non-perfect, non-resonant, end-fed inverted-L wire antenna. The vertical portion is about 35 feet long. The horizontal part is mostly about 35 feet above ground level. I finally stopped clipping/snipping at a total of 53 feet of wire with a combination of twelve 6 to 60 foot radials about 1 to 3 feet above ground. Temporary electric push-in fence posts hold the wires off the ground. The radials are made from 4-conductor telephone wire, with each conductor cut to a different length. I used a lot of powdered iron and ferrite toroid cores from about 1 inch to 2-1/2 inches in diameter. My toroids all came from Fair Rite, MicroMetals, and Amidon. I finally settled on a Fair Rite FT-240-43 core with seven tri-filar windings connected as a 9:1 UnUn. Four to 6 and 8 to 11 turns did not provide the same results. Smaller cores didn't provide the same performance. Their inductance and transformers seemed quite close. I was particularly surprised at the differences between core sizes, even though the same mix cores presented the same basic inductance and the same transformation ratio over equivalent frequency ranges. Type 43 mix was slightly better than type-60 mix over 3.5 to 29 MHz. I settled on an approximately 53 foot long piece of #14 multistrand insulated wire, a variety of above ground radials ranging from about 6' to 60', and lots of winding and rewinding of different UnUns on a variety of sizes and materials made by Fair Rite and MicroMetals. When I measured the feedpoint last night, it was mostly R=30 to 70 Ohms, and j+/- 15 Ohms, or less on 80/75, 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters. 30 meters looked pretty good too. FT-8 on ten meters was pretty active this morning. I made a few contacts. I switched to WSPR. Nothing! It was pretty much the same on 15 meters. But 40 and 20 WSPR and FT8 were crazy. I didn't get back to the shack until about 7:00 PM this evening. On 40 and 20 I started out with 5 watts on FT8. Most of the reports were coming back at -10 dB S/N to +10 dB S/N. I dropped to 1 watt on each band. The signal reports were about the same as 5 watts. I can'r reasonably measure RF power at the feedpoint below 0.5 Watts, but I was still making good contacts at about 0.5 W on 40 and 20 meters. Maybe it was just propagation. Or, maybe, my antenna is really working. Maybe I can find a way to better describe what I did. For now it has all been only non-scientific experimenting. It was optimized by empirical observations. I don't think what I have is reproducible in another location, maybe not even 50 feet away. We did get over 2 inches of rain after last night's measurements. Nothing changed significantly overnight.