I have been reading the Basic Antennas and

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KD9DOG, Jun 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD9DOG

KD9DOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Can I put up a wire that I do not need a tuner say 40 meters for a starting point I am just trying to save a few bucks by eliminating the tuner.

KO4ESA likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Center-fed 1/2-wavelength dipole, 65' long end-to-end, up 30' or higher above ground and fed with 50 Ohm coax can cover the 40 meter band without using a tuner.

WB5YUZ, KO4ESA and K0UO like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Although the above advice and you'll be just fine.
    I never used a tuner for 40 years

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. WB2WIK

I can tune an antenna, but how do you tuna fish?:)

KO4ESA likes this.
  5. KD9DOG

KD9DOG Ham Member QRZ Page

I myself will not touch that!!!
    Thank you, now what do you do with the coax as I intend to hang this from my flag pole to a pipe 115' away strapped to the fence and being center fed the coax would drop into the mowed section of the yard?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  6. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always mowed the lawn, placed the coax and let the stuff grow over it.
    Mike N3PM

K2EDM likes this.
  7. WB2WIK

As long as the coax runs at a 90 degree angle (or close to that) to the dipole wire, it can run anywhere -- doesn't have to be straight down.

I often pull the coax back towards the roof of the house and support it with an eyehook (or something) near the edge of the roof, so all the coax is at least as high as the roof is, assuming the dipole is actually higher than that.

Many ways to deal with this issue; hams have been dealing with it for 100 years.

KX4OM likes this.
  8. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget the "Easter Egg" hidden in that 40 meter dipole . . . you can also load it on 15 meters! Usually no tuner needed there, either.

9. W7PDK

W7PDK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you have room, a horizontal loop will give you multiple bands and good performance.

10. K6GBW

K6GBW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've tried just about every type of wire antenna there is and I keep coming back to the regular old dipole. It's just really hard to beat it as a general purpose antenna. Build it a touch long and then trim it down to the middle of the portion of the band you use and you're golden.

K7JOE, WD4DXQ and K2EDM like this.