I have an old Motorola FMTR 80D (B) 2 radio. What's it worth?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE8JIL, Apr 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE8JIL

KE8JIL Ham Member QRZ Page

A guy at work was getting rid of his dad's old Motorola FMTR 80D (B) 2 radio, which I took off of his hands. It seems to be pretty ancient, I can't find much about it online. Supposedly it works, but I haven't tested it yet. Anyone know if it's worth anything?

Attached Files:

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Coast Guard approved for watercraft up to 36' as an anchoring device.

KB9BVN likes this.
  4. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

The writing on the back wall says 52.525 MHz, so, it looks like it is set up for the 6m FM national simplex frequency ...

It also bears date stamps on the bottom chassis of Nov. 1948

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  5. WA0YDE

WA0YDE Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the early days of FM, one of the guys at work had one in his car. A Volkswagen!
    (With the rear seat removed, of course.) There were many available back then.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

IMO it's just a parts source now... things that age doesn't harm like tube sockets, ceramic variable caps, IF, RF and power transformers, stuff like that.

NO ONE will likely be interested in putting it on the air - I can't imagine why, give how prevalent quality 6m FM gear is these days (practically every modern HF transceiver now has 6m all modes available).

Shipping cost would make selling outside of your own area prohibitive beyond imagination.

It's a parts source :(

Dave
    W7UUU

KA0HCP likes this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5 bucks at the next hamfest. ;)

8. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty sure the mounting chains for that installation are getting harder to find...

9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not quite as heavy as the FMTR-140D models!

On 12-volts: Starting current for the dynamotor about 80-amperes and a running current of almost 40-amperes. If the 6-volt model, double these current requirements.

There is actually a market, these days, for the older equipment such as the 80D. That is with people restoring older public safety vehicles. The dynamotor, itself, if working, is desirable among the military surplus crowd.

The transmitter is rated at 30-watts output and uses a pair of 2E26 tubes.

In college, when I was working for the Motorola Service Station in Atlanta, Georgia, Atlanta Gaslight company still had a fair number of the FMTR-80D and FMTR-140D mobiles. The high-band (2-meter) units are the FMTRU-80D and FMTRU-140D. Even then, the units were elderly. However, performance wise, the equipment works very well.

Glen, K9STH

10. WA9ZZZ

WA9ZZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are people who like to restore and operate the old tube radios, but that is mostly HF radios, not so much the VHF-FM radios. Nevertheless, I do occasionally hear someone running an old Motorola or GE.

To get this thing operating properly, you would need a power cable, control cable, control head, speaker, and microphone. Although, you could probably check it out using parts clipleaded to the connectors. You would have to check the operating voltage before powering it up. It looks like it has a 6V dynamotor and may be only setup for 6V. Some of those older radios were built for 6V, then later converted to 12V.

The potentially most valuable part would be the crystals if it actually has a pair for 52.525. That is still the national FM simplex frequency on 6m. If you did find someone who already had an 80D they wanted to get on the air, they would need crystals and they are expensive these days.

Back in the 1960's there was a fair amount of activity on 6m FM simplex on 52.525 in southern Michigan, and northern Indiana and Ohio. Probably not so much today.