I have always wondered about this question

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KG0MN, Dec 10, 2016.

?

What is the percentage of hams that would break the power rules?

Poll closed Dec 17, 2016.
  1. 0 to 10%

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. 10 to 20%

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. 20 to 30%

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. 30 to 40%

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. 40 to 50%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 50 to 60%

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  7. 60 to 70%

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. 70 to 80%

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. 80 to 90%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 90 to 100%

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KG0MN

KG0MN Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a question that has been in my brain for more years than I can count, so I thought I would ask for opinions from other people. When I see a ham proclaiming they picked up a huge hunk of old iron from a defunct AM broadcast station I ask this question.

Let's say the transmitter can run 3 KW after the conversion over to 75 meters, how many hams will run it at the maximum obtainable power limit. I realize there is no right or wrong answer, please just express your personal opinion of the percentage you believe would abuse the power rules. Same thing for the ham that buys a Henry 8K Ultra amp which will run a cool 5000 Watts all mode or 7000+ PEP day after day. What percentage of hams will rein this pony in to the legal limit or will they run it wide open to in sure they break through the tough pileups.

The last portion of the question is this, what percentage of people would use this amps in a contest in the hopes that they will get the plaque and be top dog for that band?

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

No way to answer other than just what someone thinks others will or won't do. So, some would but I think most wouldn't bother. Most hams will never have an amp at all let alone one that can go over the legal limit.
    I hardly ever use my AL80B but it doesn't get even close to the legal limit anyway.

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldnt mind running a GIGAWATT if I had my own Nuclear Power station to run it!!!

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

In bracket "drag" racing, we have a saying, "The faster you go, the harder it is to go faster." The same applies to RF power. SOME might go thru the bother/expense of transmitting farther than they can hear but, MOST won't.

KI5WW likes this.
  5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The power rule is one of the hardest to enforce.

6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

AF6LJ likes this.
  7. WA7PRC

Not really. That most hams make cheapskates look like big spenders tends to keep most from buying an amplifier that can produce significantly more output above the legal limit. For example, 3KW may seem like a lot more than 1.5KW but, it's only 3dB more. You're likely not going to find that amplifier at a low price, like you might a 1.5KW amplifier.

8. AF6LJ

Sitting right here now I could name two hams that have amplifiers that are on the air that meet that power level.
    I know of one other that was somewhat famous here on the West coast that ran a homebrew amp using a 4CX5000, and later rebuilt the amplifier using a 4CX10,000, it was well known as the Plywood Box. That wouldn't have been that hard to pick out in a pile up.
    As for measuring power in the near field, you are lucky if you can get within 2DB of what the station is actually putting out.

9. WA7PRC

That's THREE. Even if it was 3000, that'd still be a drop in the bucket compared to the number of hams who do the right/legal thing.

10. AF6LJ

You are spot on, however how many hams do you think just let it slide if their AL-82 or their AL-1200 is running a few watts over?