ad: elecraft

I Have a question that I would love to have someone answer

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KG0MN, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KG0MN

KG0MN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was listening on 20 meters a bit ago and heard a couple of fellows bragging about all the awards they had each won. So while i continued listening someone broke in and ask a couple of questions and said that he was running about 600 watt and one of the two fellows chatting commented that was qrp in his book. They both turned around and told this guy that they were both running Henry 5K Ultra amps. When the breaking station said was the Henry ran at the legal limit to get all of their awards, they both laughed and said of course not. One said he ran his as hard as he could it was the only way he could break the pileups. The other fellow bragged that he needed one more card to finish 342 for DXCC. Is this as common as I would image it is? I know that there are a large number of AM stations that run broadcast equipment and they make no bones about bragging how much power these type of devices put out. If this is common place on the DXCC honor roll I would think a different name might be needed for it.

2. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a shame people do that. Most of working rare DX is in receiving, and only a small amount about power.

At 1500 watts, it is possible to work all over the world on 160 meters. I mean all the way deep into south central Asia!! Why someone needs to do that, or thinks that helps on bands like 20 or 10 meters, is beyond me.

If it is any comfort to you, the difference between the big Henry and a 1000 watt amp is only about 6-8 dB.

I knew a W1 who worked DXCC on 160 meters with just 100 watts or less. He was the first 160 DXCC, and it took him 25-30 years. Now, a good station with 1500 watts can do it in a weekend on 160, and 160 country totals are over 300 by many people. What does it matter to have 340 on 20 meters with 8 kW?

73 Tom

3. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

they call it an honor roll for a reason. I guess "honor" means something different to some people.

4. AG6K

AG6K Guest

 Good point Tom R. What's that, about $6000 for one S-unit?
    • Rich, ag6k

5. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How to respond...

Well, since I did not hear the QSO in question, all I can offer is my opinion... Worth exactly what you paid for it, but you did ask.

Twenty meters is a strange band, full of folks with ego problems. The bragging about awards goes with the territory, as does
    the bragging about power levels, DXCC status or whatever else it takes to make the blowhard happy.

What you witnessed was a one-upmanship contest, where the biggest liar wins.

After all, was there any evidence at all to prove that either of the blowhards were actually violating any laws?

Maybe they were just trying to catch a naive person like the one who broke into their conversation?

A couple of ham radio Neanderthals bragging is little reason to shun the DXCC program. Two nuts in a bowl don't make a super bowl snack, right? I can't think why anyone would believe that many people run excess power. Some do, sure, probably for the same reason that they ignore speed limits on the highway. Mostly the folks with the big, sports sedan from overseas.

The same principle applies in many avocations where an opportunity arises to put the other fellow down. A few that come to mind:

1. Cars

2. Fishing.

3. Boats.

4. Sports.

All competitive activities that pit one man against another. Some make cheating easier than others, but the urge to cheat is still there.

I'll bet that the QRZ'ed community can come up with a lot more... What you heard is simple human nature, nothing more. Unfortunate that it occurs on a world-wide stage, but there you go...

73 Gary

6. AG6K

AG6K Guest

 As I understand it, in the Sicilian Mafia, the Honor Roll is for mechanics who whack more than 100-guys instead of working 100-guys.
    • Rich, ag6k

7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Although there have been "California kilowatts" for many decades, most operators who "claim" to be running excessive power are, more often than not, just blowing smoke!

Glen, K9STH

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it's funny anyone would even say this.

There's a great deal more to "brag" about if you can make the Honor Roll with 100W, or with QRP.

If I ever hit 300 with 5W, damn right I'd brag about that. With a lot of power, it's a testimony only to being on the air at the right time.

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I hit 300 with 5W into a dummy load (and then woke up). :D

10. AG6K

AG6K Guest

 Glenn -- when I got the "Plywood Box" 8170, 20db amplifier working
    http://www.somis.org/pb_top.gif
    a number of listeners broke in and asked how I had the same signal strength with their 20db pad switched in when the thing was on. When I explained that I did it with a grid-driven tetrode that ran 8kV and had a 75A filament, a number of people accused me of lying. Some even accused me of using electronic trickery.
    Unfortunately the 8170 amplifier was almost useless because the Combat Zone jammers that I had built the amplifier to be able to talk over were quick to realize that trying to jam me was a waste of kwh, so they would only jam the people I was trying to communicate with. Conclusion: It was a fun project but it was not all that useful, and when you stop and think about it, the Plywood Box amplifier only had 1.5 S-units more gain than my SB-220.
    cheers
    • Rich, ag6k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.