ad: elecraft

I guess it's real now

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KI4POT, Apr 2, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've made a time and financial commitment to learning CW. I signed up for CWOps Beginner, which starts next week and my wife bought me a Kent TP1-B paddle for my upcoming birthday. The Kent will go with my newly set up home station, I have a portable touch paddle to go with my KX2 already (I can reliably send "CQ" and copy a few additional characters).

My goal is modest, to do a SOTA activation on CW by the end of the year. That's 4 contacts with a simple exchange.

Chris

W4LJ, KE8OKM, W9EBE and 11 others like this.
  2. KD4ZFS

KD4ZFS Ham Member QRZ Page

Enjoy your journey! :)

It is a journey, not a destination. You will keep on learning.

Remember:
    • Accuracy before speed! Slow and accurate beats fast and sloppy every day. Speed will come naturally over time.
    • Use the cleanest and most accurate sending you can. It's a physical skill, like playing a musical instrument.
    • Try to think in Sounds - like music. NEVER think in pictures of dots and dashes. Try to make it like hearing your favorite songs. You hear the first few notes, and you immediately know what song it is.
    • Above all else, Have Fun!
    Welcome to the club! :)

WB5YUZ, K6LPM, NS4Q and 4 others like this.
  3. KI4POT

Thanks!

Those are all points I internalized before committing to this. From the first time I read about listening to the sounds and not the dots/dashes, it made complete sense.

I'm looking forward to it.

Chris

WB5YUZ, NS4Q, KD4ZFS and 1 other person like this.
  4. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done, Chris. We as humans learn by stepping outside of our comfort zones, placing ourselves in situations where we are "behind the learning curve" and we need to push ourselves to acquire additional knowledge. I salute you for your commitment, courage and willingness to grow. Plus, you will enjoy it very much. I promise.

KF9VV, KI4POT and NS4Q like this.
  5. W0AZ

W0AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree with everything already said ...
    Welcome, and above all have fun!

Vy 73,

Steve

KI4POT likes this.
  6. KF9VV

KF9VV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Winning attitude!

CW is so much fun, and an adventure that gets more entertaining as you learn more. Activating POTA or SOTA is a total rush.

You will have ups and downs. Just keep working at it and reaching for growth. Lean on us to pull you through the downs.

Jim KF9VV

KI4POT likes this.
  7. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

The best advice on the subject I have heard!
    Think of it like music.
    Think how much we hear of the same songs....
    We might be able to hum along in the automobile,
    Maybe even know enough of the words in the chorus to sing in the shower....
    If ya think about it like the old TV Game Show you will pick up and recognize much of what you hear before you spell it out, just as though the contestant can "Name That Tune" within the first few notes.
    Much of a CW exchange is like that recognizable chorus of that popular song that gets stuck in your head.
    You know the chorus , you get the basic exchange....

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    KD4ZFS, KP4SX and KI4POT like this.
  8. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Look forward to working you!

KI4POT likes this.
  9. KI4POT

The key arrived yesterday and I was "allowed" to take it out of the box and fondle it before it was spirited away in preparation for my birthday next month. :D

Class starts tonight.

Chris

WD4ELG and KD4ZFS like this.