I guess I'll have to try a razzleberry pie

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KL7AJ, Apr 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, I need a new shack computer...this might fill the bill. Thanks!

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent suggestion. I thought about getting one, but they are expensive here. Since it was not a 'need', just a 'want', I let 'slide'.

I have a feeling/hope that the next RPi will be along the similar lines.

3. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of community support is available for the Raspberry Pi. There are always software-hardware integration issues with any computer. For example, getting networking set up for Raspbian Stretch, the latest version of the OS is different from some earlier versions of the OS.

Ted, KX4OM

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing to remember is the Arduino is very easy to interface to the outside world, as the pins (on most models) are 5-volt and they can source / sink a reasonable amount of current without external circuitry. On the other hand, the Pi requires external buffering as the pins are 3.3-volt and can't source or sink much current at all.

But, if you need computing power and want several programs running at once, the Pi is the only option between the two.

5. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a bunch of Raspberry Pi's here, Time Server, IRLP Node, Network Wide Ad Blocker.
    I even have a Laptop, a Desktop, and a couple of Tablet Computers all running raspberry Pi's

They are quite handy and fairly powerful little computers.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is not a big problem. Add a 10 cent transistor and smoke the transistor instead of the computer. :)

7. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Should probably be using an opto-isolator anyway, there is a lot of noise on the GPIO pins.

KA9JLM likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

True that.

That is one reason not many nerds use them with a radio nearby.

But they can work if used properly. :)

9. WB0RIO

WB0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought my first Rpi a few months ago, the thing that impressed me is that it's really just like an older and slower desktop PC
    running Linux, except that its tiny and has a wider variety of I/O pins than a typical PC.

If you're looking for a Linux-based "shack computer", you may be happier with a faster PC.
    I like to use boxes that are too slow for Windows 10, but are not too old, like 5 years old.
    That kind of machine running Linux and using a solid state disk can really perform nicely.

10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Those 40 little pins standing up on the edge of the PCB?

They're called "antennas"

I have no idea how much RFI gets on the board from those. I know it can be a lot.