I got my KN4YB bug

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W4WVW, Jul 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W4WVW

W4WVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe I'll get to use it tonight for SKS.

Attached Files:

• bug.jpg
      bug.jpg
      File size:
      128.4 KB
      Views:
    W9RAC, K8BZ, N4FZ and 4 others like this.
  2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks just like the one in your avatar!

PU2OZT and W4WVW like this.
  3. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed :) It's my first bug and I really like it (besides is a Kent SK) easy to settle and use at 10-12 wpm, faster code I am able to copy. Sometimes needs slight adjustments, rapid routine check-up, tightening some screws, it has a spirit of its own, contrary to electronically paced stuff. Also, applying 65V between contacts sure helps.
    Oliver

N4FZ and W4WVW like this.
  4. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

===== congratulations_fireworks_1_[1].gif

NOW YOU NEED TO BUY SOME OF THIS STUFF

BRASSO.jpg

HAVE LOTS OF FUN WITH YOUR
    NEW BUG.

CW 4 EVER

73 - K1LKP

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    PU2OZT and W4WVW like this.
  5. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It sure is pretty, but I like my old Champion, It's almost as old as me.

K8PG, N4FZ, WA1GXC and 1 other person like this.
  6. W4WVW

Are bugs THAT temperamental about staying in adjustment? I can have this key set up perfectly for me and the next time I use it (usually several hours away) the dits get scratchy and/or decay too rapidly and I have to readjust the key. I love using this key but don't love having to readjust it so often. Is this just normal in the bug world and something I need to live with or could I be doing something wrong to lose the adjustment that I thought was perfect?

PU2OZT likes this.
  7. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Uh, oh..........

My only insight is that all those moving components are getting whacked many times per second. I suspect that with normally-obtained

SAE or Metric standard threads, even coarse threads, the components should not go out-of-tune. My personal technique (because any

common bug is prone to your phenomenon) is to really t i g h t e n the jam-nuts holding adjustable components in position. Hand-tight

only--you won't possibly damage steel screws--but really tighten-up the contact components-- I'm not familiar with your bug, but Vibroplex

units require two hands--one to hold the knurled screw-head secure and another to fight against it with the knurled jam-nut. Try it,

hope it's better.

8. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Also, I had to make an extensive use of all the Allen keys, when the package finally arrived home (Brazil) after +1 month transit. Quite everything was loose, lots of trial and error coarse adjustments. Thread is an opportunity to check mutual settings. However, I might not help you much, with my low wpm tweak.

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like this was your FIRST bug? (maybe it was Oliver saying that ?)
    You better spend some time working with it off-the-air before you try a QSO, bugs take some learning time to get familiar with their adjustment and use !!
    I love my bug and use it in preference to the keyer paddle, it's just more fun.
    Got my first bug from Laffayette Radio for about 13 bucks back in 1962 when I just earned the General ticket 1!!

K8PG and PU2OZT like this.
  10. W4WVW

Yeah, first bug except for a Vibroplex that I owned in the 60s but never put on the air. I'm impatient, probably just need more time with it.

KA0HCP likes this.