ad: HamInsurance-1

I Got my IC-9700

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by W5SAT, Apr 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W5SAT

W5SAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Got a new toy today.

I have a little learning to do to figure out this new rig.
    (more to come...)

upload_2019-4-27_0-33-30.png

WD9EWK, KV6O, W5PFG and 2 others like this.
  2. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With all that power and a Pina Colada, you could really stomp on an FT-60. :D

AK5B, AA0CW, WA4SCA and 1 other person like this.
  3. W5SAT

Oh Clayton... Shame on you. :) Everybody knows I need at least 3 Pina Coladas before I would do anything like that....

I will say, it took a little while to figure out how to get SatPC32 running the radio. Coming from a Kenwood, I wasn't clear on how to set the address on radio and SatPC32 to get everything talking. The IC-9700's USB port does audio in/out and CI-V but didn't know that either before I pre-purchased an Icom compatible CI-V cable.

I am using Windows Internet Connection Sharing on my laptop to provide an internet connection to the radio since my Shack is away from my router - that works well.

I made a couple quick satellite QSOs late last night and am very happy with the way the radio performs. I will say the TS-2000 with buttons and knobs all the functions I use while doing satellite QSOs is easier to drive.

1200 baud APRS using UZ7HO SoundModem works perfect. Audio is via the built-in audio on the IC-9700. Hopes are diminishing for 9600 baud though - currently through the built in audio codec there is only a bit over 3 KHz of audio bandwidth coming from the radio in FM-DATA mode.

I'm struggling to get AF or IF across the Ethernet connection - can't seem to pull in the UDP from the radio. Argh.

I can pull the 12KHz IF (or AF) thought the USB port and use HDSDR for example to decode anything that fits within about 16 KHz of I/Q bandwidth - 9600 baud RECEIVE would work that way but not sure how I could transmit 9600 Baud. I haven't tried sending anything in/out of the ACC connector since Icom wasn't kind enough to include the $2 connector for that port. Argh again.

So, a couple of satellite QSOs and a lot of tinkering so far. I will report more as I learn more about the radio.

W5PFG and K3RLD like this.
  4. W5SAT

A few updates for those that may be interested:
    • SatPC32 works when configured to use an IC-9100 - err... Mostly. SatPC32 is constantly bouncing between making the active and sub radios active. This is frustrating if you need to make a change to something. The change is applied to the active VFO and when it's bouncing between VFOs it's a pain.
    • SatPC23 has a hard time setting and keeping FMD (FM Data) mode. For example, using SatPC32ISS it only sets the RX VFO to Data mode. The TX needs to be in Data mode to pull or "route" the modulated signal from the Internal USB sound card to the transmitter. It can be manually done but, per item above, hard to make the setting. Plus it seems to revert back to regular FM mode for no good reason.
    • The CS-9700 programming software is actually pretty decent.
    • I have gotten a lot of unsolicited compliments on my audio quality. Nobody has commented on my rugged good looks, though.
    • I tried and tried to get 9600 baud packet to work - not happening. Tried putting audio in via USB sound card and via rear panel ACC and still severely bandwidth limited.
    • I am using the IF (not the AF audio out) (12KHz center freq) from the ACC connector feeding HDSDR on a laptop. That gives about 20 KHz of raw demodulated bandwidth to do whatever I want such as decoding 9600 data, Fox data, etc, etc... Too bad I can't TX wide bandwidth as easy. The USB Sound card, ACC connector and IP UDP out can be configured independently which is good.
    • I now have a D-Star radio and absolutely no clue how to use it. :( I used all of my remaining mental capacity to figure out DMR - I'm tapped out.
    • Helical 23cm antenna from Wimo has hit US soil and I hope to have that this week. Looking forward to taking my LEO pack and rotator down... Will be on the Saturday AO-92 passes soon.
    • Almost forgot - having a built in SWR meter for VHF/UHF/SHF is way cool. Still, I don't know why Icom failed to include the even cooler SWR sweep tool that they have in the IC-7300.
    • A lot of people say if you are familiar with a IC-7300 the IC-9700 is very similar. Well.... yes and no. Yes, menus are very similar but no because there is so much more functionality built into the 9700 it can actually get a bit confusing. Knowing the IC-7300 is certainly a good start to figuring out the IC-9700.
    Well, that's my update. If Icom could sort out the 9600 baud issue and if SatPC32 is updated to support this radio I will be a happy camper.

AA7WB, AK5B, WA4SCA and 3 others like this.
  5. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is the "9600 baud" issue? I am using two different CAT control programs on mine at 9600 baud without problems (CW Skimmer and WSJTx). I did have to change the radio's CI-V address to a different Icom radio since it is not yet directly supported in either SW.

6. KE8AKW

KE8AKW Ham Member QRZ Page

Its 9600 Baud Packet. Basically it's used for discriminator unfiltered audio for DUV for the Fox satellites or for various satellite telemetry receiving purposes as well as 9600 baud packet for Falconsat-3

K4MIA, WA4SCA, WE4B and 1 other person like this.
  7. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for that clarification.!

8. W5SAT

Another update. Got my Wimo 23cm 10 turn helical antenna yesterday. Stuck it on a temp mount to test it out. Seems to work fine. I can hit a couple local 23 cm repeaters. Really nice having the SWR meter for all bands on the IC-9700.

Waiting for my LMR-400 Ultra Flex to arrive and will be able to mount the antenna up with my M2 LEO Pack. Looking forward to having 2m/70cm/23cm on the G5500 rotator.

upload_2019-5-2_23-4-34.png

AK5B and W5PFG like this.
  9. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad you got it out of the box! ;)

Looking forward to more reports.

W5SAT likes this.
  10. K4MIA

K4MIA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Guys,
    I am Mike K4MIA. I just got the IC-9700 and trying to get it to interface to SatPC32. I have only done FM birds. I have always used it only for antenna control. First time trying rig control. I have tried setting it up using IC-9100, baud rate 19200. cat speed 50. But when I try and put in address of A2h the program will not store it. If I input the address A2h it will show it if I go back to setup. But as soon as I file and close program it reverts to the old address. If I use the arrow keys to change the address, store and quit it will keep the new one. I am sure this is a dumb question but I have been hitting my head on the wall for 3 days now.
    Many TNX 73 Mike K4MIA

11. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's a little trick that helps in that situation. If you can't get SatPC32 to match what's set in the radio, change the radio to match what's set in SatPC32.

W5SAT likes this.
  12. W5SAT

W5PFG gives good advice. Set the radio address to $60 then choose that in SatPC32 list of preset addresses. Make sure you have CI-V echo turned on. I'm at work, but can send you screen shots later if you need.

SatPC32 works pretty well but has some annoyances and SatPC32ISS doesn't work very well at all - just barely.

13. W5SAT

Update: got 35' of LMR-400UF in today so bothing stopping me from getting the 23cm antenna installed
    Well.... Nothing except the huge pain in the @$$ of taking the LEO pack down from 20 ' in the air...

I'm really looking forward to getting this wrapped up.

I have been working a lot sat passes lately and I can say I can tell when somebody has a 9700 because the audio is so good. It's that noticeable. I believe a lot of that is the excellent hand mic that comes with the radio - same mic as the 7300.

More to follow...

14. KB1PVH

KB1PVH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's a crappy phone screenshot of settings that were posted not too long ago on the AMSAT Facebook page Screenshot_20190503-152813_Chrome.jpg

KO4MA likes this.
  15. W5SAT

Update: Bailed out of work a little early to get home and mount the 10 turn 23cm Helical antenna. I bought 35' of LMR-400UF and it was exactly the right length to get from antenna to the back of my radio.

SWR is great across the band - very happy there.

Now I just need something to point it at.... (Actually, I can hit some local 23cm repeaters easily but want a satellite to point it at.)

upload_2019-5-3_19-12-20.png