I give you 15 keys to test

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by HB9FXW, May 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. HB9FXW

HB9FXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Help me test my morse trainer by evaluating the 15 keys I've implemented, from straight keys to paddles, cooties, bugs and more. I need feedback on the realism of this new feature and suggestions on how to improve it. Are the expert settings too precise or not precise enough? Is the skill range complete enough or should there be more intermediate levels? How do they sound at an higher speed than what I'm comfortable with (ie > 28 wpm) ?

I'm looking forward to your comments, constructive or not. Feel free to suggest things out of the scope of my questions too.

No download required (but you can install it on your phone/tablet for offline access if you want), no ads, no inscription, no fees. No blacklist.

http://seiuchy.macache.com/index.html?qz

Warning: Since English isn't my first language, there might be a lot of grammar errors. Corrections welcome.

73 de Zeb

K2CD, NK8S and N4IAG like this.
  2. NK8S

NK8S Ham Member QRZ Page

This is awesome Zeb, thanks very much for coding and running it. My only suggestion would be to add qrn, qrm and qsb settings to simulate real world copying.

Keep up the great work!

73, Mike NK8S

HB9FXW likes this.
  3. HB9FXW

QSB is in the back of my mind, I will probably implement it later. For QRM and QRN, you could just open a SDR on another tab, but I'll look into it, if I find a way to add those without taxing to much the CPU so it can still run on phones and cheap tablets.

Thank you for your kind comments, I'm glad you enjoyed it

4. K5ITM

K5ITM Ham Member QRZ Page

Brilliant; thank you.

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

My Morse trainer was my Hallicrafters S38d receiver with 30 ft of wire going out my window to a tree, tuned to 80M at night.
    In other words, real people on the air sending Morse. Best training is the "Real World" !

N2EY and K7KBN like this.
  6. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

I had an SX-99 and about 15 feet of #24 wire running diagonally across the ceiling of my room (using the light fixture in the center of the ceiling as a support, and otherwise supported with thumbtacks. Learned code at Boy Scout meetings and put it to good use listening. This was in 1958, best propagation EVer!

7. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Very clever and quite realistic sounding. I love some of the key names ! However, I have to agree that getting on the air and having a real QSO is best. I have proven this over the past four years with my CWA students. The students who take my advice and get on the air often (daily) always outperform classmates who do not.

8. W6MQI

W6MQI Ham Member QRZ Page

Good job OM "straight key horror" crap I've actually heard fist like that.

9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

CW modeling? Why not. All the music manufacturers are doing it, from keyboards to guitar amps. Keep up the good work!

10. HB9FXW

Thanks everyone for the kind words! You're right, nothing trumps real, over the air experience. The problem is we don't always have access to nice and slow QSOs when we have a little free time. Sure, some OPs are retired and have huge towers, but many of us work, have kids, have QRP rigs and stealth / crappy antennas. With my software, I can train my Morse skills in the bus, or while doing the dishes, or at 4am on the toilet seat, or in the doctor's waiting room... I just need my phone/tablet (and headphones if I don't want everybody around me to benefit from the lessons ;) ).

Of course, if there's good propagation and you have a decent setup, you'd better use that instead of Seiuchy! Familiarity with your radio and propagation patterns around the year at your location is invaluable and can hardly be simulated