I don't want a house next to that.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N0OV, Jun 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The "if I can get my wife to go along (with it)" comment is pretty common, but not here.

I don't recall my wife asking my permission to plant her flowers, or buy a sewing machine, or, for that matter, to buy a new hot tub for the yard, and I definitely don't recall my asking her if it was okay for me to install towers. When we bought this house, while she was unpacking the dishes after the move, I was outside digging the hole for the tower: Seemed like a fair division of labor
    [​IMG]

WB2WIK/6

2. W6EZ

W6EZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Too close. Much too close.

There is a general about 1/2 mile from me that never operates.

There is another general about 1 1/2 miles from me that I have had a couple of nice QSOs with 75M off my shielded dummy load.

There were two others about 2 - 3 miles from me that are part of the group I used to hang out with on 75M. One moved. The other, who is an advanced, refuses to turn off his linear when everyone else in the group is running 35-50 watts and still have 10+ signals. No, he has to peg everyone's s meter. He says if he has a linear, he will run it wide open all the time. He also uses the same equipment on CB.

I don't hang out with that group anymore, even though the one guy is the only real problem.

Then there was the CBer who was 2000 feet from me who had an old Palomar 300A that had been maxed out for CB and scratched from 160-10!! I knocked on his door one night to see what the heck all the noise was comming from and he proudly showed me his radio. He moved about three weeks later.

No, I prefer my fellow HF guys about five or more miles away.

(No, I am not trying to turn this into an anti-CB thread. Just stating the facts.)

3. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

WIK: Boy did you get it wrong! You shoulda unpacked the dishes and gotten your wife to dig the holes!

[​IMG]

TOM K8ERV

4. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did the same thing as the author here. Have 4.5 acres and went in with a simple multi-band longwire and a 2M/70CM antenna on a push up pole. You can't see the antennas unless you're almost on my front porch. No way can you see them from the road or neighbor's houses.

I wanted to wait until I am ready for the big iron to go up before tipping my hand. Then I will erect a tower and anchor a 400+ foot loop on one weekend and be done. No chance for them to whine. No restrictions on my property and no covenants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.