I decided to start using my Kenwood TH-215A: Promlem

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KY8M, Oct 20, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KC6AWX

KC6AWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a problem just starting my TH-215A again. it seems I hv no audio. It appears everything else is working fine. Is there a known problem with this where I can get this fixed. is there a service place??
    any information appreciated. this radio was in storage for 20+ years? new battery bought but still no audio from speanfer?

2. KY8M

KY8M Ham Member QRZ Page

There are two electrolytic capacitors that known to go bad. I can look around and see if I can find them, are you familiar with working on pc boards & soldering. If not then I really would look around for something a little newer. You will need a schematic to locate the caps the need to be changed. You might be able to download the schematic to locate the 2 caps.

3. KY8M

KY8M Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you still need a pdf for the service manual for the 215a?

4. KI4WLY

KI4WLY Ham Member QRZ Page

So to be clear the C37 and C38 to fix the audio problem are the PTH radial lead mount Caps and not the surface mount caps?

5. KY8M

KY8M Ham Member QRZ Page

C37 & C38 are mounted on the surface & radial leads. In the photo they are the two black ones with a q-tip on top of them.

Attached Files:

6. KI4WLY

Using the info found here I was able to replace C37 and C38 with parts found on DigiKey part # P963-ND and now my audio works fantastic and is super loud. I spec'd these and they have the correct dimensions for the small space the original 2 were at on the board. Just passing along pertinent info if someone else is looking for a source for these caps.

7. KI4WLY

Thanks. I sourced parts from Digikey in my reply to this forum. Worked for me!

8. KY8M

KY8M Ham Member QRZ Page

Very happy for you.

Gary

73 KY8M