ad: w5yi

'I decide to go to the moon', ... and I need a tower section.

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by GM4BRB, Aug 16, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Calling G-ops. Not holding my breath but it's probably best to ask ... just in case.
    Serious project first conceived 2009. Have 4·5m Dish kit, 2 × GI7BT amp, txcr's & 100yds Heliax etc.
    My Dish will need a pedestal/tower section, of about 15ft, though as little as 12ft would do, I think.
    Anyone with a versatower section laying around with nowhere to go, you might like to contact me.
    A 96" section came with the dish, as a freebie but that's become an engineering continuity stumbling block.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That would require a really really really really TALL tower section. :)

WJ4U likes this.
  4. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Or some help from Jackie Gleason.

[​IMG]

K4BAD, KC9ONY and K3RLD like this.
  5. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hoh Yus!

That's the one. I just yesterday, missed a versatower section 14ft, to be picked up & delivered from South Coast nr Portsmouth by a GM tower builder; that's eBay.
    Didn't move fast enough but I'm not deterred because I know it's not time for this to happen just yet.

I'm just paddling at the moment. I do that first to get a feel for avoiding drowning sensations.

Near success on first attempt is a good sign but also I'm thinking about a solid circular pipe, ¾ inch thick wall, flanges, and ferro-cement pedestal arrangement.
    I've seen a TH6DXX come down in a strong wind on a lattice tower and this 4·5m dish will weigh in, all told, with actuator, mounting plates, septum feed-cage & counterweights
    ... at no less than 100Kg, I estimate.
    So, something really solid. Goldstone telescope style is what I'm hoping to manifest.
    I'm open still, at this early stage to the idea of an old versa-section.
    I'll know, we'll all know, when it's time. (In our heart of hearts).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019