I caught the eBay bidders sleeping!

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K5DH, Dec 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Set up an automatic search for an item you want, and eBay sends you an email if/when it is listed. If you want it, wait 'til the last minute to bid or, better yet, use a sniping software/website to do your bidding. It works for me.

N7BKV likes this.
  2. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Lucky you. I put in an ebay search a year ago for MORSE KEY TITANIC. Still waiting for it to turn up. :rolleyes:

W1TRY likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hey - you could have the next best thing soon.... http://www.kent-engineers.com/titanicinfo.htm

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2018-12-12_20-47-41.png

N7BKV likes this.
  4. N7BKV

WA7PRC and W5BIB like this.
  5. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Going OM!
    Yes, sadly, the ranks of CW ops are thinning more everyday. Lack of 40m CW QSO's in the afternoons are an indication.
    Had many retired CW ops to QSO with every day. Hardly any now. The old guys loved to converse, not just exchange a club number.

W7UUU likes this.
  6. N7BKV

I found this so myself. Last year I picked up a Japanese version of J38 real cheap. Wasn't looking for anything special, just something in good shape for little money (and they still look cool). But in the hunt I came across sellers who were not hams but estate liquidators with large collections from SK's. Sellers often knew little or nothing about the devices, although most had done some homework on values.

Great stuff is turning up. When hams show pics of their collections you gotta know there are still some incredible keys out there! Hope they all fall into good hands.

Brian
    N7BKV

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

There always are Morse keys on eBay. It took 'bout a year for a Green Heron RT-21 rotator controller to appear after I created a search item. I nailed it for about $200 less than the new price.

My point is, none of the ham classifieds have any kind of 'automagic' search function. They're entirely manual.

8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How about the "original" Titanic Key? You know...like the original Springfield '03 used by General Custer at the Alamo?

N7BKV likes this.
  9. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

Which, in a way, is good for us younger guys getting into CW! I purchased an EF Johnson Speed-X on eBay a couple months back for $50 and a last week I got a single-lever Bencher for $50 as well from another ham. I think SOTA and similar programs are helping younger people get into the mode. On another note, my 5 year-old son made his first HF contact last night. It was sideband but CW training starts soon :D

10. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Caveat there is the search results are only as good as the sellers description.. To find deals one has to look in all the nooks and corners of Ebay where things are listed poorly .. oops.. .just gave away my tactic ... good hunting :)

N7BKV likes this.