ad: ProAudio-1

i can't tell if my yaesu ft847 works

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K5LOT, Oct 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K5LOT

K5LOT Ham Member QRZ Page

i bought a yaesu ft847w/fc20- antenna tuner and a b&w ap10b antennasomewhere something must be set wrong i can tell when someone is on usb i think i can barely pull in wwv fort collins i can't even pull in noaa weather most of the time the static sounds like when you don't have an antenna on it at all also does some one have a list of the freqsfor a tech license i just got 10/11/05 last tuesday 1900hrs this radio is harder than the test was [​IMG]

2. VA2GK

VA2GK Ham Member QRZ Page

Please, paragraphs... punctuation... you're as hard to read as your radio to listen to [​IMG]

I am not familiar with this antenna, where is it installed?
    On what frequency are you trying to receive WWV?

You have to know that the HF conditions are far from beeing optimal these days and the proper placement of your antenna will be a key factor and will make the difference between hearing only noise, or a signal buried in the noise [​IMG]

3. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

GREGORY G DE CHIARA
    201 B Anthony Drive
    Maryville IL 62062
    USA

Is this you?
    You should consider putting you call sign at least in you signature line, some of us are a bit suspicious when we don’t see a call sign.

when you got your study material you really should have gotten a list of frequencies divided into the main bands with the appropriate indications of which sub band you can operate with which class of license.

There is a nice printable page at the ARRL site, you don’t have to be a member to print the page.

4. K5LOT

the antenna is suppossed to be an indoor stealth one it seems it is so stealth the radio can't find it sorry about the typeing i do i am doing the best i can after being shot by a crack head in my head as a cop i only have use of the fingers in my right hand i am wondering if aes sold me a bad radio i hear what sounds like ssb but when i try to clairify it won't come clear [​IMG]

5. VA2GK

VA2GK Ham Member QRZ Page

You should not expect too much from an indoor antenna on HF, except maybe for the international broadcast bands.

An indoor antenna is gonna receive all the noise generating crap you have in your house, from cell phone chargers to computer monitors to alarm systems. Basically everything that uses switching power supplies or oscillators.

If you live in an appartment, then you will receive the neighbour's crap as well [​IMG]

6. K5LOT

[​IMG] i have everything off i can faintly detect what soundslike ssb in the back ground i wonder if i need to buy those filters for the ft 847 too is it a good radio where can i obtain a list of legal freqs for a tech to use

7. N8LES

N8LES XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is a link to a nice pdf file of frequency allowed by license class.

<a href="http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=DownloadFile&Document=6e9b7a5908ddbd79720d6f9cb5cb98700e4911de11f9fb5f60ca0ffc3b9eb83ccca123d9efe6bc4aa85b8a8836

c842f3ec2df1d55dc9bd14aa97fa454eccaef3" target="_blank">Frequency Chart</a>

8. KF0RT

KF0RT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hate to harp, but if you give a callsign, you'll get better help. A lot of hams are reluctant to give help on the operation of a transmitter without knowing that they're helping someone who is &quot;legal&quot; to use it.

That said, are you sure you have the antenna connected to the right connector on the back of the radio? I'm not real familiar with the 847, but from the brochure, it looks like that rig has 4 antenna connectors and the one you use depends on what frequency you have the rig set to.

For WWV, use the &quot;HF&quot; connector. As a Tech licensee, that will be the only connector you are NOT allowed to use for transmitting (unless you passed the code element). It also has connectors for 50MHz, 144MHz and 440MHz. I'm not familiar with the antenna you have or where you are, but you might plug it into the 144MHz connector and tune from 144-148MHz for any local repeaters that might be active.

And if you really DON'T have a license, don't blame me for the legal outcome of any experimentation. It IS a crime to transmit on that thing without a license. [​IMG] [​IMG]

73, Rob

9. K5LOT

I JUST PASSED THE TECH TEST USEING THIS SITE TO STUDY ONLY TOOK IT HERE OVER 500 TIMES COT CLOSE TO 100 BUT NEVER MADE IT TO 100 THIS RADIO IS HARDER THAN THE GENERAL TO ME GETTING 90'S ON THE GENERAL AND EXTRA CLASS I HAVE TO WAIT TILL 2ND TUESDAY OF NEXT MONTH TO UP GRADE DANG CODE QUICK HAS ME HEARING KANGA ROO IN MY SLEEP NOW MY WIFE IS GOING AROUND SAYING MO WA WA:p

10. K5LOT

I HAVE 2 DAYS LEFT TO FIND OUT IF THE RADIO WORKS SO I CAN SEND IT BACK IF IT DOESN' BOUGHT IT FROM AES ARE YOU TELLING ME I CAN'T TRANSMIT ON 14.300 TIL I GET MY GENERAL THEY TOLD ME AT AES TO ONLY USE THE HF CONNECTOR ON THE BACK I I USE ANY OTHER I MIGHT HAVE TO CHANGE SOMETHING IN THE MENU AREA:O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.