I bought my first radio-Azden PCS-2000-HELP?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KF5ANR, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KF5ANR

KF5ANR Ham Member QRZ Page

Got it for a steal and it'll get me on the air while learning so I can save for a good one.
    I was told it does CW and I want to learn so that's great.
    So I got the radio,a 5/8 wave mobile antenna (stuck on my back door) and wired it up to a good battery.
    No manual,but figured out the scan(not picking anything up though).

So what do I do and what am I doing wrong?
    I thought the 2 meter band was 144.00-147.999MHz thereabouts,but the readout on this thing shows me 4.000-7.995MHz.
    I'm missing a multiplier somewhere?
    I'm lost,help.
    Anybody have a manual? Search is doing nothing for me.

2. KF5ANR

I'm a dunce,just figured out that it's just missing the 14 part of the reading.
    Any help would still be appreciated,still not recieving anything and have no instructions.

3. KB3RHV

KB3RHV Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a link to the manual....

www.radioamateur.eu/schemi/Vari/AZDEN_PCS-2000_user.pdf

The radio looks to be FM only with no PL settings. Also, the only way to send CW is tones through the mic or possibly packet through a data connection. That's if it dose have a data connection.

I would try putting in a upright position, like the top of a filing cabinet or on a large pot on a table. See if that gets you better reception.

4. KF5ANR

I've been sent that link,and went through it and from searching found the repeater tones(PL?) aren't on the PCS2000 and PCS3000.
    The european version shows a "tone call" option on the microphone on page 13.
    On page 18 it gives the pinout chart for the microphone and shows that tone call button.
    I was hoping it was something I could just wire in,but starting to realize I might need some kind of board to solder to that and not something that just needs an on/off switch.

Do you know anything about that Tone Call on the euro version? Is it what I need to get on the local repeater?
    Sorry,i've learned alot by reading but this is the first time i've touched a radio.

5. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, 'tone call' sends a brief 1750 Hz. audible tone, which is/was common on European repeaters for access, but not on this side of the Atlantic. Here, we use CTCSS tones, which are continuous low-frequency tones, and these days, most repeaters require them.

I don't see any mention of CTCSS (or 'PL') being an option for this radio. There are 3rd party PL encoders that you can buy that will let you send the tones needed to access repeaters. http://www.com-spec.com/index1.htm

However, with the price of an easy-to-use encoder running about 2/3 the price of a new radio, I'd strongly consider using the Azden for APRS and FM simplex where tones aren't needed, and go buy a new entry-level radio. Sadly, this is why older, used 2 meter radios are often sold at firesale prices. At $129, the entry Yaesu 2 meter mobile rig is a decent buy.

6. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Replace the internal battery in the last 30 years?? Often a good place to start troubleshooting. Although a bad battery will usually give you scrambled stuff on the display. Could be a bad display, could be it only shows those digits in the display as the first two, "14", are a given.
    DOH! Just read that you figured that out...never mind!

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  7. KF5ANR

I've figured this out talking with a local club elmer,I didn't have a good excuse to tell him why I didn't just make the drop on a new 2800m.
    Found this for cheap,and i'm a sucker for old electronics.
    I'm going to use this to play with antenna's but will more than likely have a new one by next week.

Was hoping I could get by with the Azden till I saved enough to buy something with more than just 2 meter on it.
    Still might wait and just get a 2m/440 rig so i'll have more options.
    Have yet to make a QSL locally or at all so not sure what mode i'll be playing in.
    I think the finals on the Azden are toast,that or i'm gonna have a wakeup call on the effects of line of sight and height on an antenna.

K7MH
    I noticed the battery in the manual,and no I don't think it's been changed though I haven't checked yet.
    I plan to order some and just change them. There are no display issues,the 1 and the 4 are not in the display at all.
    It only show's the last 4 of frequency.

I would love to find a link/tutorial on basic radio theory stuff if you guy's have any.
    I know a various issues can cause the finals to go out,but I don't know really what the finals are and might need to troubleshoot this Azden.
    Any info someone can give me on that would help.

Thanks
    DefEddie

8. KF5ANR

Replaced the batteries and it holds memory now and scans quicker even it seems.
    The old ones had more corrosion than an unpainted battleship in salt water.
    Only one person has heard me with it yet,and he was just a few miles away. It was simplex,and on just a whip antenna while I was mobile.

Building a copper pipe Jpole for it,that will mount 5ft above the highest point of my roof for now.
    That will be about 8-10ft higher than the mobile whip antenna sitting on my roof right now(artificial ground plane attached).
    I am picking up a town a bit furthur away now,though not enough to tx.

Getting a new radio this week,just have to order it(hard to make my mind up)
    I intend to keep this one and use it to play with,I can afford to break it.
    If it lives I have 2 friends in mind that are interested in ham radio and if one takes the test I'll give it to them for a starter radio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.