I Am Not Making This Up

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2EY, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The market will ultimately decide. If enough people don't want HOAs, they will die a natural death.

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's all keep in mind, though, that HOAs and CC&R are not automatically bad. Some are, but if the terms are agreeable, and well documented, they can be helpful.

W4IOA likes this.
  3. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that's what a lot of hams don't realize--lots of people actually like HOAs and living in neighborhoods governed by them.

W4IOA likes this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a lot of hams who prefer a deed-restricted property. That doesn't necessarily mean antenna restricted, though. Many properties' CC&R doesn't even allow the kind of abuse alleged in the OP's article link.

As with many other things in life, the content of the fine print is important. I have made offers on CC&R-restricted properties before, with full intention of putting up large amateur antennas in the back yard. I read the CC&R and knew that was allowed before submitting the offer to the seller, though. Ounce of prevention...

Reading the fine print ahead of time also means I knew that my ownership of that property wasn't subject to the kind of abuse alleged in the article.

5. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

4W:

There is a VOLUNTARY HOA in my neighborhood that has about 3000 households as members. Yearly dues are $15.00 and there are no CC&Rs to enforce. When I moved here, the neighborhood was "THE" neighborhood in the Dallas, Texas, area in which to live. It is still a very desirable place to live and when a house goes up for sale, it is typically sold within 48-hours and often for more than the asking price!

When I moved here, Rodger Staubach, the Dallas Cowboys quarterback lived down the hill and around the corner from me. Various politicians, television personalities, high level businessmen, and so forth still live in the neighborhood. There is a major country club 2-blocks from my house and the University of Texas at Dallas is about 1-mile straight west of my house.

The HOA has absolutely no power to control anything about the property, etc., and the houses are definitely in excellent condition. Considering the cost of the houses, very few are inclined to let their property decline.

There are a fair number of amateur radio towers in the neighborhood and there are also very few people who complain about the towers. Most residents do not even notice that there is a tower nearby.

Some people definitely like living in a controlled environment and some do not. Unfortunately, most developers these days do establish CC&Rs and establish an HOA to go along with them. As such, in most metropolitan areas there are just no new houses available that do not have an HOA attached and people are just plain "stuck" with an HOA whether or not they like having such.

Glen, K9STH

6. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a couple celebrities in my hood as well . . . if my neighborhood didnt have an HOA it would still look great. Its purpose is more about maintenance of common areas (gates, shared space, community pool, etc) and making sure build standards are met when someone buys a lot to build on (all natural exteriors, minimum square footage, etc).

7. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Haven't lived in an HOA development and never plan on doing so. We purposely chose our current 7 acres in a county where there were no antenna ordinances whatsoever and not even a building permit was required for my tower

WD4IGX, WD4DXQ and K3XR like this.
  8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep... The nanny state needs to be abolished and sent to the Abyss where it belongs.

N2UHC, KV4PD, WD4IGX and 1 other person like this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

What "nanny state"? You've got the situation exactly backwards.

HOAs and such exist are NOT "government". They are most popular in places where "small government" is all the rage. The idea is that things like zoning and nuisance ordinances aren't needed when you have HOAs - because the HOA rules are much more restrictive than anything a government could enact.

AB6RF and WU8Y like this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Only if there is a "free market" - which there isn't. Not in real estate, anyway. The deck is stacked - and it's stacked against the homeowner.

WD4IGX and WU8Y like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.